I hollered to my son as he walked past, “Hey, what do you think of Reading Eggs?”
His eyes widened, “I LOVE Reading Eggs!!”
“Why? What’s good about it?”
“It’s just really fun.”
I love when kids learn, and have fun doing so. The enjoyment and learning factors both come into play with ABC Reading Eggs, a multi-award winning early learning resource for children aged 3 – 13.
ABC Reading Eggs was created by a team of Australian primary school teachers, writers and developers. It is designed to support children’s learning to read journey with online games and activities that are self-paced, easy to follow and really fun (according to my son). And it’s not just my children who enjoy the program; over 3.4 million children have used ABC Reading Eggs worldwide, and it’s adopted in more than 5,000 schools throughout Australia.
Right now, you can try it out for yourself with a free 4 week trial of ABC Reading Eggs. Simply register at readingeggs.com.au.
Below is a snapshot of the extensive features:
- My Lessons: 120 guided and interactive reading lessons
- Skills Bank: 96 carefully graded spelling lessons
- Driving Tests: 45 literacy tests that assess sight words, phonics skills, and vocabulary, and award children with fun racing car games.
- Story Factory: provides a step-by-step guide to writing a story. Children can choose illustrations and access word and sentence suggestions to craft an original story.
- Storylands: opens after lesson 60 and contains 20 new lessons that build young children’s comprehension and vocabulary skills.
- ABC Reading Eggspress Library: over 2000 e-books sorted by age level and Lexile level, including fiction and informational texts. The library also includes read aloud options for beginner readers. Each book ends with a comprehension quiz to assess children’s understanding.
- Rewards-based areas: ABC Reading Eggs is designed to reward children for their achievements to motivate them to keep learning. The program includes multiple rewards-based areas, like Reggie’s Shop and the Arcade, where children can buy items and games with the golden eggs they earn.
- Parent dashboard: Parents have access to detailed progress reports and hundreds of full-colour activity sheets that correspond with the lessons in the program. Parents can also print out a certificate for their child after they complete each map.
From a parent’s perspective, there are four things I want to highlight. The first thing; it’s really easy to set up. You just add a child to your profile with their year of birth (to ensure the level is relevant for them) and it’s ready to begin. If you have more than one child, you can add them to the same parent dashboard page (no need for different accounts). It only takes a few minutes to set it up and you can track your child’s progress at any stage.
Another interesting thing I found is my children are able to jump straight in without any input and instruction from me. It’s clearly designed to be easy and intuitive for young kids.
Thirdly, I would mention the longevity factor; the integrated reward system keeps the children motivated and engaged so they have ownership over their own learning, and my children respond well to that.
The last thing is the fact that you can use ABC Reading Eggs on the computer, or on supported devices, which is ideal for us because we have a dedicated family iPad we use for learning.
Below is a snapshot of some of the games for my 8-year-old.
This is for the 10-year-old age group.
The games and activities in ABC Reading Eggs are tailored to your child’s individual ability, and focus on the five essential components of reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
ABC Reading Eggs is a fabulous program and the good news is you can try it for free! Just sign up here (no credit card needed) and get started on a four week free trial. If you and the kids love it, you can purchase ABC Reading Eggs and ABC Reading Eggspress for $79.95 for a 12-month subscription and $59.95 for a 6-month subscription (which works out to be about $1.50 a week over a year).
ABC Reading Eggs works, because it makes learning fun.