Sponsored by Digital Parents and HP
The printer is one of those products that add enormous value to family life. It can be used for projects, homework, photos, cards, crafts, business needs and more. I’ve been looking into ideal printers for the family home (need a new one since my move back to Australia), and am featuring a new model from HP.
The HP Envy 5540 is a sleek, minimalist printer that boasts a host of clever and user-friendly features the entire family can tap into.
Print directly from your computer, mobile phone or other supported device. This means everyone in the family can easily access the printer. This is my favourite feature, and one I will use often. It means I can snap a picture, and print lab-quality photos directly from my phone. It’s also handy when you have multiple users in the family like we do. My teen does most of her homework on an iPad. In the past, she emailed it to the laptop and printed from there, but now she can print directly from the device. The setup process is easy – simply head to the product setup page and it prompts you through the steps. Find out more about mobile printing here: HP Mobile Printing.
Minimalist and classy design
It looks good, yet is unobtrusive.
What you can print on
Paper (plain, inkjet, photo), envelopes, transparencies, labels, cards, HP premium paper, iron-on transfers, double sided.
Scan & Copy
Copy or scan documents.
The touchscreen display makes it easy to print, copy and scan documents at the touch of a button.
The printer retails for $119.
I calculated the estimated running costs for my own records:
Black and White: ~ 8 cents per page
Colour: ~ 12 cents per page
Up to 12 page per minute (ppm) for black-and-white documents and up to 8 ppm for colour photos.
The printer allows for enormous creative potential: do crafts, design cards, print Disney themed invitations, decorate with bunting, do fun things with your photos; the options are extensive. To make it even easier, check out HP’s creative hub with free printables and programs to help you create amazing things. More details here: HP Printables.
Back to School
Having a good printer in the house can save you time and money during the back to school period and during the year. I like to stock up on essential paper, and this ensures I am ready for the majority of family printing needs:
Printer Product Essentials
– A4 Paper
– HP Glossy Photo Paper
– HP Professional Matt Inkjet Paper150 gsm
– Address Sticker Labels
- Print books lists
- Write check lists
- Create book tags: use labels
- Decorate school books: For kids who like to personalise their books, you can search the internet and print a heap of images on a subject they like, and glue them on to a brown paper covered book (see here for instructions). Cover with contact or a clear book cover if desired.
- Design lunch box notes
- Print a calendar
- Create invitations
- Projects and homework
- Make routine charts
The printing quality is wonderful!
I find it helpful to establish simple morning and afternoon routines for my younger kids during the first month of school. Making getting ready for school habitual allows kids the extra brain space they need to take in all the wonderful new things they will learn at school.
Creating a routine system is cheap and quick. I’ve designed a printable that includes a variety of possible task options, so particular cards can be used in whatever order suits the child. There are different systems you can establish with the cards, depending on your family-life. Design a poster and stick the cards on, make a key ring book or stick the cards on the fridge. Click here for the full instructions.
This project cost approximately $2 (including the photo paper it was printed on). If you think it will be useful for your family, grab the printable by clicking the image below.
In a nutshell
The HP Envy 5540 is a fabulous printer for the family home. It’s sleek, fast, affordable, extremely user-friendly and is ideal for all those home printing needs. Set up the year for creative potential! Find out more about the HP Envy 5540 over at the HP website at hp.com.au.
Giveaway now ended. Congratulations Anh.
Want to win a printer for your family? Just write a comment below and answer this question: What fun project has the printer help you create?
Competition Terms and Conditions
- To enter, comment on this post answering the question.
- You must be an Australian resident older than 18 years of age to enter.
- You must provide a valid email address and entries are limited to one per household.
- Entries close Friday, January 23, 2016 at 11:59pm Australian EST.
- Entries will be judged on merit.
- One winner will each receive a HP Envy 5540 valued at $119.
- Winners will be contacted by email and announced on this post by Tuesday, January 26, 2016.
- The winners must claim the prize within 2 days or the prize will be re-drawn.
- The winners agree to have their contact details passed on to the appropriate PR company or brand representative who will send out/organise the prizes directly.