I adore peg dolls. It’s easy to make an angel doll you can use as a decoration for the Christmas tree. You can find more peg doll tutorials here: Pirate Peg Doll, Mermaid Peg Doll, Ballerina Peg Doll. These are a lovely gift idea for teachers (write the child’s name and year under the skirt somewhere).
- Wooden Peg
- White material (or you can just use ribbon)
- Loom band or section of string
- Drawing pens (fine point)
- Cardboard (wing templates here)
- Screw eyes 1.22mm
- Hot glue gun
- Twine (or ribbon) for hanging
1. Wrap a section of material or ribbon (I used wide ribbon for the gold angel) around the peg and glue at the back. Just make sure the peg is around the right way with the front being where there is an opening in the legs. Another option here is to use a white or gold paint pen to draw on the top of the dress.
2. If making a tutu, put a loom band around the middle of the doll. For the gold angel, I use a piece of twine and simply glued sections of wide ribbon in lengths and then wrapped and glued it around the doll.
3. For the hair/halo, you could use a lot of different things:
- Pipe cleaner for a halo
- Wool hair (you can see an example here)
- Drawn on hair with pen
- Ribbon hair (as below)
For ribbon hair, I simple cut three sections of ribbon, tied a knot in one side, platted to length and then tied another knot in the other side. Then glued it on the doll.
4. It’s best to use fine tip pen, or even ball point pen when drawing on the face (otherwise it will bleed into the wood). I made them these into singing faces.
5. Draw wings or use the angel wing template I drew here to cut out a section of cardboard. Either cover with ribbon (on both sides) or simple use coloured paper (like I used for the gold angel).
6. Last thing to do to make them into decorations is add the screw eye at the top of the head. I purchased mine from Bunnings for a few dollars. Make a small indent with something sharp and then start screwing in. It’s not difficult; I did it with my hands or use pliers.
7. Use a section of twine or ribbon to hang or gift.
- Teacher Gift
- Activity Idea (best for older children)
- Christmas Craft
- Handmade Christmas Tree Decoration
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Backyard Hurdles - October 25, 2016
- Where to Design Your Own Sports Shirts - October 21, 2016
- Bring You, Embrace the Stage, Invest in the Moments - October 21, 2016
- How to Make Candy Flowers - October 21, 2016