My friend Susan from The Book Chook (and if you haven’t seen her blog, you should check it out) gave me this recipe YEARS ago, and I found it again the other day and decided to do up a batch for lunch boxes this week. They went down really well with my kids (3 out of 4 loved them and the 4th still ate it). The muffins are really easy to make, have 2 cups of veggies inside, and can be frozen ahead of time. The are similar to my cheese and corn muffins, but have even more veggies inside.
Cheesy Veggie Muffins
11/2 cup plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup coarsely grated carrot
1 cup coarsely grated zucchini
1 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 eggs lightly whisked
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt/Pepper/Herbs to taste
Makes 12, oven 180°c, 25mins cooking.
1. Sift flour and baking powder into bowl.
2. Add grated carrot, zucchini, half of cheese and any garnish desired (herbs, salt, pepper).
3. Whisk egg, milk, oil in bowl.
4. Then add liquids to flour mixture, and just mix until combined.
5. Spoon mixture into well greased muffin cases (or use silicon muffin cases) and sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
6. Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for about 25 minutes until golden.