Whipped this Matchbox car wash for the kids this school holidays with items I had around the house. So easy!
- Ice cream bucket
- A box can be used but won’t be waterproof – good option for inside play
- Hot glue
- Foam sheet (I had left over from making peg mermaids with the kids)
- Paper works too, but it won’t be waterproof. Another idea is to use zip lock bag.
- 3 paddle pop sticks
- Shaving cream – optional
How to make
This is the sort of thing that can be for inside (and even just the front section without the rollers) for imaginative play, or add shaving cream and water to make it a fun outdoor activity.
1. Cut 2 sections out of opposite sides of an ice cream bucket. Leave a centimetre or two from the top (that is: base of the ice cream bucket) because you’ll need that space to glue the foam on.
2. Trim a section of foam to cover the entrance of the car wash. Then cut narrow lines up the foam, allowing at least a centimetre or 2 at the top.
3. Glue the foam to the inside of the bucket. I used hot glue because it’s quick and easy. Craft glue could be used but it will take a good while to dry properly.
5. I decided to add rollers too. Starting from the base of a paddle pop stick, I glued layers of cut foam, allowing a couple of centimetres from the top.
6. To add them to the car wash, I cut two squares out of the top of the ice cream bucket where I wanted them to sit, slipped the rollers to sit underneath, and then added one more paddle pop stick to the top, joining them both together so they wouldn’t fall out (but still had a little movement).
7. That’s it really! I also added a sign to the top of the box. This could be written in permanent marker.
I decided to set this outside with a small container of shaving cream, a bucket of water and a washer. Then I just let me son at it to play however he wanted.
Fun addition for outdoor play, or for imaginative play inside (without the water/cream). Could add some printable roads too.
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Where to Design Your Own Sports Shirts - October 21, 2016
- Bring You, Embrace the Stage, Invest in the Moments - October 21, 2016
- How to Make Candy Flowers - October 21, 2016
- A Mural - October 17, 2016