My daughter suffers from eczema and one of the things that causes irritation to her skin is dust mites. I’ve read up on allergy friendly bedding and how to dust mite proof a bed, and we have found a system that works for us. It’s made a big difference to my daughter’s skin.
Allergy Friendly Bedding: How to Dust Mite Proof a Bed
The first thing to note is there are a lot of so-called allergy friendly products out there, but a lot of it is marketing and these products alone aren’t necessarily effective. There has to be a process, and after researching, I’ve boiled it down to a system we use to keep my daughter’s bed as dust mite-free as possible.
- Mattress protector that covers the entire mattress (not only the top).
- Cover mattress with a dust mite-proof fitted sheet.
- Cover with a regular sheet (or allergy-friendly sheet). For my daughter, I use a silky feeling sheet with antibacterial properties.
- Quilts: Feathers are not ideal; Microfiber (e.g. Polyester, Tencel) quilts are better for allergy suffers and they are affordable. However, it’s best for the quilt to be covered with a dust mite-proof protector, even if quilts are labelled ‘allergy friendly’.
- Cover quilt in a quilt protector (for dust mite protection).
- Place quilt cover over the top.
- Place pillow inside a pillow dust mite-proof protector.
- Cover with pillowcase.
I purchased sheets (that are smooth so they don’t irritate my daughter’s skin) and dust mite-proof protectors from Aussie company Allergend.com.au.
Wash all items in hot water.
- Pillow cases
- Regular sheets
- Pillow Protector
- Quilt Protector
- Dust Mite Fitted Sheet
- Quilt Cover
- Quilt (or at least air the quilt)
- Mattress cover
This system is both doable and effective.
You can see the massive improvement in my daughter’s skin.
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Backyard Hurdles - October 25, 2016
- Where to Design Your Own Sports Shirts - October 21, 2016
- Bring You, Embrace the Stage, Invest in the Moments - October 21, 2016
- How to Make Candy Flowers - October 21, 2016