Quick and Easy Cinnamon Scrolls

It is obvious to anyone who follows the Simple home cook or ALDI home cook that scrolls are a favourite thing of mine, especially with the flour and yoghurt dough that requires no yeast or rising time. I don’t have the patience to wait for the dough to rise, punch it down then wait for it to rise again and this recipe can be made in one go and doesn’t take long at all.

You can even make these cinnamon scrolls ahead of time, set them aside and bake in the afternoon when the kids get home from school. This whole tray was devoured in no time today and my kids were even asking for more. One tray was enough for my waistline though! Everything in moderation.

Amanda (Simple home cook)

Quick and Easy Cinnamon Scrolls

Quick & Easy Cinnamon Scrolls

• 3 cups self-raising flour
  • 2 cups natural greek yoghurt
  • 3 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoon caster sugar
  • ½ – 1 tablespoon cinnamon

• 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 ½ tablespoons hot water

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
  1. In a large bowl, add flour and yoghurt. Stir to combine. Tip out onto a floured bench and bring mixture together with your hands into a ball.

easy cinnamon scrolls

1. Heavily flour your bench and roll out dough to form a large rectangle approx. ½ cm thick.

easy cinnamon scrolls

1. Brush with approx. 2 Tbspn of the melted butter (leaving a little butter to brush over the top before baking). Evenly sprinkle over sugar and cinnamon, covering the entire rectangle.

easy cinnamon scrolls

1. Tightly roll the rectangle up into a large sausage. Using a serrated knife, cut into pieces approx. 5cm thick.

cinnamon scrolls easy

1. Place in a greased baking tray as shown. Brush the top of the rolls with the remaining melted butter. You can cover and set aside and bake later in the day or bake immediately (uncovered).
  1. Bake in preheated oven for 30 mins. If browning too quickly, place a sheet of baking paper over the top to prevent the top from burning. I covered mine at around the 20 min mark.
  1. Remove from oven and let cool. Make icing by combining icing sugar with vanilla and water. Stir until smooth and drizzle over scrolls.

cinnamon scrolls - quick, easy and delicious

Vegemite Pull Apart Scrolls

Thermomix Pizza Scrolls

Afternoon Tea Ideas

The following two tabs change content below.
Amanda started on this journey when her 3rd child was born, and feeding a family of 5 became even more of a challenge with three children under 3 1/2 years of age! She started working on a list of recipes that were simple and affordable that she could make ahead of time so she wasn’t stuck in the kitchen at 5pm when the household duties kicked up a notch. Amanda’s goal is to create simple meals that anyone can cook and enjoy without spending hours in the kitchen. Her recipes are perfect for that busy weeknight dinner, snacks to fill the lunch boxes or for students learning to cook. It’s simple home cooking at its best to free up your time to enjoy the fun things in life — your kids! Check out her cookbooks at www.foodbefore5.com.au and her Simple Home Cook Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/foodbefore5

Latest posts by Amanda Arnold (see all)

• Amanda from Simple home cook says

Hi Lisa, They are fine to freeze. I froze some and gently heated them when I wanted to eat them and they were perfect.

• Amanda from Simple home cook says

Hi Ashlea, I can’t say for sure if it will work as I have never tried lactose free yoghurt. As long as it is natural yoghurt, I can’t see why not! If you do try it, please let me know how it goes.

1. marie says

I made these yesterday, they were absolutely delicious, will be making these often also never used greek yogurt but used full cream natural yogurt yum thanks for the post

2. rebekah says

I’m just curious do you use unsalted butter? I found these a bit bland and I’m wondering if it’s my unsalted butter. Very easy to make and lovely texture in the dough. Thanks. :) P. S. My kids loved them.

• Amanda from Simple home cook says

Hi Rebekah,

I have never tried them with unsalted butter and most often used salted butter in my cooking. It may be the difference but I can’t say for sure.

Finally had a chance to make these today. So quick. Miss 9 – Fussy eater helped with the icing when she arrived home from school.

After she had time to eat at least half of one I asked “Should I make these again”. No response. So I asked again. The answer “Sorry Mum I was too busy eating”.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

• Leah says

A cup is an internationally standard measurement. If you have baking measuring cups, they should be labelled 1 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup etc. If you don’t have measuring cups then use a measuring jug to measure out 250ml.

4. Clare says

I have made these a couple of times now and they have been a hit, not only with my daughter, but with the grandparents, my brother and even my husband who isn’t a cinnamon fan! Such an easy recipe and so tasty. Thank you!

5. Jenni says

I made these this morning and they were fantastic! I used brown sugar instead of caster sugar and wow, I will never make these using other ingredients!

6. Emma says

Have just made these using drinking chocolate powder – didn’t work, weren’t very chocolatey ????

7. Bridie says

I made this recipe yesterday and it was a complete mess for me. I had to add almost a full cup of extra flour to get it dry enough to handle. Perhaps different yoghurt brands yield different results?
    After the stuff around with the flour the end result was delicious! Thanks for the inspiration!!