Sponsored by Tourism and Events Queensland
I long to be back on this beach in the middle of the ocean! I’m reflecting back on our busy long weekend in the Southern Great Barrier Reef region and writing a wrap up retracing our travel steps. I did the same thing after our road trip from Brisbane, right down to Canberra in 2011.
Southern Great Barrier Reef
The Southern Great Barrier Reef stretches from Bundaberg — includes Lady Elliot, Lady Musgrove, Herron, Wilson and Great Keppel islands — through to Gladstone and up to the Capricorn Coast. There are higher profile areas of the Great Barrier Reef, which what makes the southern part so fun to visit: it’s a hidden gem of a place to explore and you can find many quiet spots of beach magic along the coast. The region is family friendly, stunningly beautiful, the weather is conducive to all kinds of outdoor fun (even during Winter), and there is a natural, relaxed pace.
Childers is an archetypal Queensland town full of charm and character nestled amongst the cain fields. See pictures and read more about our day in Childers here.
The highlight by far! The kids keep saying “I can’t believe we swam in the Great Barrier Reef!” We were all blown away by this experience; if you get the chance do it, the memory lasts a lifetime. More of this special day here.
The capital of the Southern Great Barrier Reef: an historic sugar town and a great place to base yourself when exploring this amazing region. What we did in Bundaberg is here.
Even though we managed to cram a lot into the weekend, there seemed to be so many more things we could have done had we had the time. Bundaberg is only 4 hours from Brisbane and we will be back, to enjoy the things we loved and explore those we have yet to experience.
1. Brisbane QLD
2. Kybong QLD (There’s a huge Matilda travel station here; a great place to stop)
3. Lake Redbrook Holiday Retreat, 122 Farnsfield Rd, North Isis QLD 4660
4. Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo, 51 Lucketts Rd, Childers QLD 4660
5. Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream, 89 Churchill St, Childers QLD 4660
6. Kellys Beach Resort, 6 Trevors Rd, Bargara QLD 4670
7. Bundaberg Airport, Airport Dr, Kensington QLD 4670
8. Kellys Beach Resort, 6 Trevors Rd, Bargara QLD 4670
9. Lady Elliot Island Resort, Lady Elliot Island QLD 4216
10. The Bundaberg Barrel, 147 Bundaberg-Bargara Rd, Bundaberg QLD 4670
11. SSS Strawberries, LOT 2 Rosedale Rd, Oakwood QLD 4670
12. Grunske’s by the River, 11E Petersen St, Bundaberg QLD 4670
13. Playground near Lake Ellen, Bundaberg South, Queensland
14. Gympie QLD
15. Brisbane QLD – Home again
In Words & Pictures
I need to finish this off by throwing out some words and pictures.
Blue, blue water
Watching my husband as a father
A sense of wonder
The wind, the sky and a smile
Thank to Tourism & Events Queensland for working with me on this little project. I aim to continue to showcase more of this beautiful country we live in!
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- No Bake – Bedtime Teddies - September 20, 2016
- Disney’s Pete’s Dragon - September 8, 2016
- Bean Bag Games – How to Make No Sew Sock Bean Bags - September 7, 2016
- Getting Back into Exercise – Week 1 - August 31, 2016