It was one of those nights when I had very little ingredients to work so I threw together egg in the basket and the kids loved it! The great thing about this one, is I used the left over bread shapes for the lunch box the next day, and I’ll show you how.
Egg in the Basket
This is how I make egg in the basket
Bread – I used wholemeal bread (2 pieces per serving)
Egg (1 per serving)
Grated cheese (1 cup is plenty to make 6-8)
Shredded ham or diced bacon (about 200 grams for 6-8 servings)
Butter (optional) – I don’t often use butter but have done so in-between and on the base of the bread.
1. Using a cookie cutter (circle, heart, star or any shape) cut out the middle section of the bread. Don’t throw out the middle section; I’ll show you some ways to use it.
2. Lay baking paper over an oven tray and lay down the first piece of bread. If you’re using butter, lay the buttered size down of the bread on the tray.
3. Sprinkle with a little grated cheese.
4. Lay the second piece of bread on top.
5. Crack a single egg inside the bread hole shape.
6. Throw over some bacon or ham and finish off with a sprinkle of grated cheese over the top.
7. Cook in a moderate 170°C oven for about 15-25 minutes until cheese is golden and egg is cooked as desired inside (to check the egg, push a knife into the centre). We like them hard boiled but soft centres are nice too!
8. Serve with fresh salad for a quick and easy meal.
Trim off the crust after it’s cooked.
Add a little tomato sauce in between the bread at step 3; add frozen peas and corn at step 6; place a single slice of tomato on the top at step 6.
Lunch Box Ideas
Save the middle sections and below are some ideas on how to use them:
- Fairy bread
- Small fresh sandwiches (fabulous with cucumber or vegemite or jam)
- Make into bread crumbs and use in this meatball or chicken meatball recipe
- Bread crackers – instructions here
- Cheesy Toasted Sandwich Bites – instructions here
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Backyard Hurdles - October 25, 2016
- Where to Design Your Own Sports Shirts - October 21, 2016
- Bring You, Embrace the Stage, Invest in the Moments - October 21, 2016
- How to Make Candy Flowers - October 21, 2016