5 Ideas for Using Decorative Tape Around the House

January 22, 2014

Sponsored by 3M (s1 post)

ways to use decorative tape - 3M Scotch Expressions - on beafunmum.com

Scotch® Expressions Packaging Tape

Scotch® Expressions Magic™ Tape

I love this stuff because I can make regular and recycled items around the house look awesome, colourful and funky. Oh, and there’s the kids too: as my children get older, I need to cater for their own projects (rather than being a facilitator and instigator) and they love the tape too!

I’ve been going berserk with the tape around the house, from decorating juice bottle vases to wrapping a pass the parcel game for my daughter’s 8th birthday party.   It’s fun to use and the 3M Scotch Expressions Magic Tape is easy to remove (the masking tape is stronger so more difficult to remove).

I’m sharing five ways to use decorative tape around the house and another five in a post next week.

Make it Amazing

3M Scotch Expressions Tape is a brilliant addition to the family stationery stash and you can show off your creations (and be in the running to win an iPad mini) in the Make it Amazing competition on the Scotch Australia & New Zealand Facebook page. There’s heaps of inspiration ideas too:

Australia: www.makeitamazing.com.au

New Zealand: www.makeitamazing.co.nz

3M Scotch Expressions Tape -  Make it Amazing campaign

5 Ways to Use Decorative Tape in The Home

1.    Coat Hanger Children’s Artwork Display

Pant hangers with clips can be used to hang children’s artwork on the wall.  It’s easy to change the artwork as fresh pieces come along.  To make it bright and fun, decorate the hangers with happy coloured tape.

ways to use decorative tape - 3M Scotch Expressions - on beafunmum.com

Materials

Pant Coat Hangers

3M Command Hooks

Scotch Expressions Tape

Instructions

1. Cut sections of tape about 10-15 cm in length (enough to wind around the hanger with a slight overlap)

2. Press each section of tape down around the hanger until covered to satisfaction.

3. Place on the wall using hooks and display artwork as a feature.

Pant hangers with clips can be used to hang children’s artwork on the wall.  It’s easy to change the artwork as fresh pieces come along.  To make it bright and fun, decorate the hangers with happy coloured tape.

2.    Secure Artwork

Another way too store children’s artwork is to use tape to secure artwork to a wall.  It looks funky. I used 3M Scotch Expressions Magic tape in purple here for my daughter’s windmill picture.

decorative tape

3. Juice Bottle Vase

So easy, it’s ridiculous.  These are great for a themed area or birthday party decorations.  Put a posy of flowers in to brighten a room or use to store pencils.

Use Decorative Tape to decoration juice bottles for cute vases - on beafunmum.com

Materials

Empty Juice Bottles

3M Scotch Expressions Packing Tape

Instructions

1. Lay a section of tape evenly around the juice bottle.
  2. Cut tape to length and smooth out.

Use decorative tape to create cute juice bottle vases - on beafunmum.com

4. Book Cover

Loved this little project because I created a cute colour themed area by simply gathering items around the house and giving it a fresh look.

Use decorative tape to cover a notebook - tutorial on beafunmum.com

Materials

3M Scotch Expressions Packing Tape

3M Scotch Expressions Magic Tape

Notepad (horizontal stripes)

Instructions

1. Lay sections of tape to cover the notepad, allowing about 1-3 cm overhang to secure on the inside cover.
  2. Don’t worry too much about making the left hand side exactly even (I’ll tell you why below).
  3. For edge corner sections, cut a small triangle (as shown) before securing on the inside cover.
  4. To make sure the edges don’t eventually peel up, use a section of tape along the left edge vertically, overlapping slightly and secure on the inside cover (I used purple tape here).
  5.  Create a cute themed area by using matching tape on plastic tumblers or juice bottles for pen and pencil holders.

decorative tape ideas: cover a notebook - on beafunmum.com

decorative tape ideas: cover a notebook - on beafunmum.com

decorative tape ideas: cover a notebook - on beafunmum.com

decorative tape ideas: cover a notebook - on beafunmum.com

decorative tape ideas: cover a notebook - on beafunmum.com

decorative tape ideas: cover a notebook - on beafunmum.com

Tip: Vertical stripes work gorgeously too.

Tip:  Great for school books.

5 . The $2 Jar

Create a $2 jar to save all your $2 coins. A 750ml jar will hold over $1,000 - on beafunmum.com

I’ve done this many times throughout my adult life and it’s an easy way to save a small stash for something special. Great for kids too! The idea is to have a specified jar for all $2 coins that come into your possession.  I’ve experimented on how much you can fit in a 600ml coke bottle (you can find out here).

If you want to save over $1,000 you need approximately a 750 ml bottle or jar. I decided to make a cute jar for our $2 coins and here it is.

Materials

3M Scotch Expressions Magic Tape

Jar

Permanent Marker

Instructions

1. If using a square jar, lay section of tape from the outsides and work your way into the middle.  For cylinder jars, measure and mark around the jar for evenly spaced stripes. It’s easy to pull the tape off if you make a mistake.  Horizontal stripes work brilliantly on a cylinder jar.
  2. Using a permanent marker, name the jar and start saving.

make a decorative jar with tape

Here’s a (slightly ridiculous) video of $1,000 in a jar.

Make it Amazing Campaign

The Make It Amazing campaign has started. Get inspired, make something amazing with Scotch® Expressions Tape. Follow the links below for inspiration, ideas and more information:

3M Scotch Expressions Tape

Australia: www.makeitamazing.com.au

New Zealand: www.makeitamazing.co.nz

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by 3M. You can read my disclosure policy here.

Christie - Childhood 101No Gravatar January 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Love this tape, will be looking for it next time I am out shopping :)

DebsNo Gravatar January 24, 2014 at 7:36 pm

So pretty! I really am addicted to the stuff. I’ve been using it to make cards and wrap presents with lately. At Christmas, I put everyone’s initials on their gift out of decorative tape and it looked great. Love this new range! Will have keep my out out for it. Love the coathanger art display! :)

Kylie @ Octavia and VickyNo Gravatar January 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Such cool ideas! Pinning this.

Rachel | Racheous - Lovable LearningNo Gravatar January 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Ahh man, I’m tape obsessed! I want it all! Love the ideas and the video made me laugh :)

Kate @ Laughing Kids LearnNo Gravatar January 27, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Wow! I just purchased some of this tape and now I have a great collection of ideas on how to use it. I particularly love your vase.

Ness - One Perfect DayNo Gravatar January 28, 2014 at 10:08 pm

This tape looks great! I had no idea it existed. I’m addicted to washi tape and made something similar to your vases but washi tape is narrow so I had to wind and wind and wind and….that wide tape would be PERFECT. One wrap and you’re done.

JackieNo Gravatar January 29, 2014 at 8:04 pm

What simple and pretty ideas. I particularly love the coat hangers for artwork!

PennyNo Gravatar January 30, 2014 at 5:41 am

You can make anything look good can;t you Kelly. So many little inspiring ideas. Love them!

Nae adventuresathomewithmumNo Gravatar January 30, 2014 at 3:05 pm

very cool ideas. love the painting display.

Dave clarkNo Gravatar February 3, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Marvelous !!!!! It is fantastic decoration . I have never seen such a beautiful decoration using the colorful tapes. I really like it and will try to do this at my home.

Seeth luckasNo Gravatar February 13, 2014 at 7:14 am

Really awesome and useful ideas thank you so much .

pauls boutique dressNo Gravatar April 30, 2014 at 3:43 pm

The dress is designed with two different parts; the corset style of
the upper body and the chiffon dress hem, highlighting the gradation of the dress and
its classic gorgeous characteristic. Sideswept
waves, kohl-rimmed eyes, and pink lips provided the finishing touches.

Beyond all of that, your choice of color outfits is entirely up to
you. Find Dresses such as Ladies Coats, Cocktail Dresses, Jumpsuits, Jackets,
Skirts, Trousers, and Playsuits etc on Liquorish.
Your job would be a lot easier if you could simply hide them under layers and layers of
blankets and comforters, but children will want to go out, play, and explore outside.

Now, due to impersonation acts, you may see all these performers together.
If you learn appropriate first aid techniques, you can help the injured
in your home, office or school immediately
as you wait for medical help. Hybrid offers clothes for women that evocates their sensuality.
The packaging for the tattoo equipment should be opened in front of
you and if the equipment is already opened and
laid out, new equipment should be requested. now you are searching for check my blog then a cool site to find that is
at you might save some dosh in the process Lime Green It
really is customary to think that the greens are usually worn inside the winter and fall, but through that period people today a lot more regularly wear darker and kelly
greens.

miami movers flat rateNo Gravatar May 1, 2014 at 10:27 am

Have you ?ver considered publishing an ebo?k or guest authoring o?n other websites?
I have a blog based on tthe same ideas you discuss annd would really like to hsve you
share some storie?/?nformation. I know my readers woul? en?oy
your work. ?f youu arre even remotely interested, feel free to send m? an email.

southwestern wall art and decorNo Gravatar May 9, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Another problem is the one where the buyer receives the wrong item or does not receive anything at all.
A popular bedroom theme for little boys probably is the space theme.
Imagine yourself on the other side of this scenario.

pure hcgNo Gravatar May 31, 2014 at 2:12 am

In a few cases, the worms can literally eat the food that you’re consuming, stripping your body of the nutrients it needs.
However, the device will keep your muscles working and tones when you are least active or resting.
Once you have reached your weight, you can start your
normal diet, then just drink the tea to maintain your new figure.