Sponsored by BIG W
“It was the highlight of my day,” my husband said later that evening. I was surprised at this comment.
“Really?” I thought he was joking.
“I’m serious,” he responded. “I loved seeing you in all those outfits. “
My gracious husband was the photographer for this post. I’m talking about festive fashion. For me, this summer season is all about variety and I need my clothes to keep up. There are long lazy days at home with the kids, day trips exploring, grocery shopping with four small people in tow, hanging out with my sisters, meeting with friends, and break up parties at night.
A few months back, I did another fashion related post with BIG W about refreshing my spring wardrobe. I’m thrilled with how the clothes fit around my life. I’m especially impressed with the quality of Aussie designer Peter Morrissey‘s label for BIG W. This dress has become one of my staples – I wear it almost on a weekly basis and it looks as good as the day I purchased it; it’s gone through many washes without loss of colour or stretch. (You read my interview with Peter Morrissey here.)
I already have a good variety of clothes at the moment; the only thing I needed was a pair of shorts and a few sleeveless shirts/singlets. To spruce up things for the festive season, I often inject the sparkle with accessories in silver, gold, black, brown or pewter. This means I look through my cupboard for existing items in my chosen highlight and then sometime add a few new pieces.
I chose silver this time because it goes with so much of my clothes and has that Christmassy feel. I raided BIG W in the search for silver, and I found plenty in the form of summer shoes, necklaces, clips, earrings, bangles and bags.
Some ways I utilise my accessories:
- Wear a few different necklaces together at different lengths to give that layered look.
- bangles on one arm only, or both
- Adjust a long necklace in length by tying a lose knot at the back
- A black dress is always a winner for parties. Couple with heaps of silver sparkle for a fun look
- If you have small children and necklaces aren’t easy to wear (because you’re constantly being stranged!), stick to bangles for that added bling
Because I was impressed with the Peter Morrissey range, I went back to have a look again and found these adorable spotted shorts ($20) – the perfect length —- and they come with a green belt. The singlet top was $5, shoes $15 and necklace $13. Not bad for a summer outfit! I’m wearing a bracelet I already had here too.
If you’re interested in this library room I’m in, there are feature pics in this post: A Wall Bookcase
In this series of posts I’m doing with BIG W, the focus is about utilising what you already have by highlighting them with a few festive items. I tend to group the type of clothes I have in terms of how I use them and where I typically wear them. This makes it quick and easy for me to fit the clothes around what I’m doing.
Items: shorts and knee-length skirts that can be coupled with different tops
Wear: shopping, meeting with friends, beach, day trips
- Peter Morrissey Shorts $20 (with green belt), white singlet top $5, necklace stack $13, bracelets on each arm $10, silver shoes $15
- As above with a green top I had in my cupboard for a different look
Items: slacks, maxi skirt, jeans, ¾ pants, flowy tops, singlets, tshirts.
Wear: shopping, meeting with friends, day trips, lounging, home days
- Emerson chambray love heart top $19, white jeans, silver bangles $10, silver earrings $6.35 (pack of 3), silver shoes $15.
- Emerson white button up top, maxi skirt $19, drop crystal necklace $13, silver bangles $10, silver stud earring $6.35 (pack of 3), silver shoes $15
Items: A nice going-out dress. A LBD always a winner. Red is fun and festive
Wear: parties, break-ups, get-togthers. Christmas
- Red knit dress (had for about 5 years), tear drop crystal necklace (tie up in length) $13, bracelet stack on one arm $10, silver shoes $15, hoop earrings.
- Black dress with see-through sleeves (from Forever New a few years ago), long heart crystal necklace $13, black shoes, silver earrings $6.35 (pack of three)
Floral & Summery
Items: Light summery dresses that can be dressed up or down
Wear: hot summer days, parties, going out for dinner, shops, beach….anytime I want to feel extra feminine.
- Floral dress (Jeans West), all gold accessories this time instead of silver, Emerson cardi, nude shoes
- Floral dress (found in a little boutique), drop crystal necklace $13, purple shoes, bracelet stack on one arm $10, silver earrings $6.35 (pack of three)
I have two main styles that are my go-to and they both take under 5 minutes (in my hair) to do.
Down side-part style
- Blow dry hair and straighten with a hair straighter.
- Part to one side and use a clip or a 5 or 6 bobby pin together to hold in place. Look for silver, gold or other coloured bobby pins for an easy and effective look.
This is the hairstyle I often do if I’m going out. It only takes a few minutes.
It looks good with a clip or simple without any embellishment too.
When I have the inspiration of a party or event coming up, I try something new with my make-up. Just one small new thing, and this becomes my thing for the season. I went with a cat-eye liner look with a navy edge. Not too bad for a first effort. Apart from the liner, I’ve kept it pretty simple in the eye area so I can get away with bright lips!
It’s all about silver for me this season. I enjoy throwing sparkle on before I go out and I can dress up pretty much anything!
Congratulations to Rebecca and Gemma the winners of the last 2 giveaways. I have another BIG W voucher on offer. Use the rafflecopter form below and leave a comment answering this question:
What is your best fashion tip for the festive Summer season?
a Rafflecopter giveaway
T & Cs – Must be over 18 year of age, Australian residents only, judged on merit. Please read full terms and condition in the link above
*Giveaway ended. Congratulations Tiffany*
This post is sponsored by BIG W. All views and materials (including photographs) produced are my own. You can read my disclosure policy here.