White Christmas in a Jar

December 7, 2012

It’s Christmas Week on the Blog!

white christmas in a jar

A White Christmas is something I dream of experiencing, maybe one day, with my children.  You know — the sleigh bells, and chestnuts on an open fire — that kind of thing.  This year, I’m bringing a little of the dream into our Christmas in the form of table decorations.

A White Christmas in a Jar is easy and cheap, oh, and it does look magical.  If you put your eyes close to the jars, and just look for a while, you can’t help but feel like you’re there, sporting rosy cheeks and breathing in the crisp air.  The children and I, we might make up a story before bedtime tomorrow, using these jars as inspiration…yes, yes I think we will.

What you need

Salt (or white sugar)

Jars (with lids) — I found these at Crazy Clarks for a few dollars.

Christmas tree ornament/shape or a pine cone (I found these sparke white trees from a discount store for a few dollars)

christmas decorating white christmas in a jar -- christmas table decorations

What to do

Fill the base of the jar with a layer of salt, place the tree inside, and put the jar lid back on.    I made three to feature in the table centre.

christmas decorating white christmas in a jar -- christmas table decorations

white christmas in a jar

christmas decorating white christmas in a jar -- christmas table decorations

christmas decorating white christmas in a jar -- christmas table decorations

Jo’s White Christmas

Jo from Princess Warrior Lessons messaged me on Instagram after I posted this with her own variation of White Christmas in a Jar (isn’t it beautiful?!).  She said, “First time I have ever made my own Christmas Decorations (true story!). I used to say, ‘I’m not crafty. I’m not very creative.’  This year, I have proved myself wrong! Is there something you say “I’m not ____________” that may be untrue?

Oh yes, it’s so true Jo: often we are our own worst enemy.  I often challenge myself to just try something, do something different.  Change, challenge, choice: all good things.

table decorations -- white christmas in a jarVariation

Use pine cones as Christmas trees. See how I put the one pictured below together here: Pine cone Christmas Tree in a jar.

pone cone christmas tree in a jar

Christmas Craft

Pine Cone Craft

Christmas Tree in a Jar

Christmas Table Centrepiece Ideas

RootietootNo Gravatar December 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

How pretty! Try throwing a little colored glitter (I’d use blue but let the kid pick) in with the salt.

tracy @mamacreatesNo Gravatar December 7, 2012 at 9:35 am

adorable, minimal supplies to gather, AND totally doable with the kidlett in under 30 minutes…..love it :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

Totally.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

Oooo, great idea!

Sam StoneNo Gravatar December 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

These are lovely chrissy table decorations.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

They look so much better than the pics even. Every time I walk in the kitchen area, my heart lifts at the sight of them.

Rebecca NewmanNo Gravatar December 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I love the idea of making up stories set in a place inspired by the jar scenes. Love this simple Christmas activity.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

We did do a story the next night using the jar as inspiration. I told Miss 6 to go get a jar and bring it in to her room (where I was) and I said to her, “We are going to tell a story about something inside this jar. Imagine if we could become very, very small, and jump inside the jar where it was cold and there was snow all around. Put your face up very close to the jar and look! Now, this is a story of a little girl called Stacey, who wore a pink coat, yellow beanie and blue scarf, and her friend John, who was wearing a warm green coat and matching hat…but he forgot his scarf today.”

The story went on to tell how Stacey and John discovered a magic doorway in the tree trunk and what they found inside…

Ha! She loved it and totally got into the spirit of imagination…”Oh Mum, I can see them!” :)

Sam HardtNo Gravatar December 9, 2012 at 8:14 am

New follower here, I absolutely dream of a white Christmas one day too! It’s hard to do the whole hot dinner thing here in OZ, but we still do anyway..Great idea with the White Christmas in a Jar, so pretty, thanks :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2012 at 9:51 am

Hi Sam.

We do a hot dinner here too. So glad you found your way here to my blog. Welcome.

Kelly