Ribbon Christmas Tree Decoration

November 5, 2012

ribbon christmas tree decorations

Hey, hey! November is here, and it becomes less weird to do Christmas stuff, yes?  Well, I made a few adorable Christmas tree decorations using ribbon this week, to start off the festive season.  The idea was inspired by a sewing extraordinaire who blogs about many of her projects, but there were no instructions on how to make the ribbon Christmas trees (and I don’t sew).  They looked simple enough, and make wonderful teacher gifts, Christmas tree decorations, or simply to decorate the house.

Materials

8 – 15 Beads (largish)

30 – 40 cm of ribbon (at least 1.5 cm wide)

Needle

Thread

ribbon christmas tree decoration instructions

Instructions

1. Cut a length of cotton and thread on a bead.  I used  a larger bead for the base.  Secure the bead using beading methods, or for not-so-crafty people like me, thread the cotton through the bead a few times and complete with a knot.

2. Start with about 6 cm of ribbon, and fold over.  Push the needle up through the centre.

3. Add a bead.

4. Fold the ribbon back, making it sit just a little in from the last layer.

5. Thread the needle in the centre.

6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 until you have a Christmas tree shape!  Finish off with a bead at the top, and secure it with a knot.

The Ribbon Christmas Tree decorations are fairly easy to make, once you get the hang of it.  I think my older girls (9 and 11) would be capable of making them.

Pretty!

Handmade Christmas Tree Decorations

Christmas Crafts

MultipleMumNo Gravatar November 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

Kelly these are so cute. An makeable. Even for uncrafties like me. Thanks for posting x

MultipleMumNo Gravatar November 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

*and makeable

MeeganNo Gravatar November 6, 2012 at 8:19 am

Very cute!! We will give them a go! :-)

KimNo Gravatar November 6, 2012 at 8:41 am

these are fantastic, can’t wait to try them with my vacation care group!

PetaNo Gravatar November 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

Thanks for sharing Kelly! I had seen these,,, possibly in a magazine and thought “how adorable”! But I wasn’t convinced that I’d be able to make them. Your instructions are so beautifully photographed that I will now definitely be making these for Christmas this year! Thanks for taking the time to think of us when making your own Christmas decorations and putting it so simply! Peta

Sam StoneNo Gravatar November 6, 2012 at 10:11 am

Kelly, these are so adorable!! I just showed them off at work too and everyone thought the same.

CarrisaNo Gravatar November 8, 2012 at 10:37 am

These look great and thinking they will be fun to do – where did you find the beads?

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Carrisa, I found these beads at a discount store. :)

TianiNo Gravatar December 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

Just tried to make these, no beads to be found but I used some PVC foam shapes instead. Your ribbon does not look wired but my tree turned out, well, droopy is being charitable! I may try smaller loops or wired ribbon before Friday for kindy teachers!!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm

LOL we can’t have a droopy Christmas Tree now can we! No, the ribbon I used wasn’t wired…I do think that perhaps you’ll need proper beads for the weight…I think that is what holds the tree up so well. Hope it works better for you take 2! Let me know :)

TianiNo Gravatar December 22, 2012 at 10:35 am

slightly (not by much) smaller loops produced fantastic trees – 4 kindy teachers rather impressed by my talents (cough cough) – thank you very much!

http://www.charlieday.net/No Gravatar April 20, 2013 at 1:38 am

This is certainly the second post, of your site I went through.
Although I personally like this particular 1, “Ribbon Christmas Tree Decoration” the very
best. All the best -Christy

LisaNo Gravatar December 8, 2013 at 2:16 am

These ornaments are adorable. Thank you for posting the directions. Each year I look for easy crafts that can be done in a reasonable amount of time with my students. I am excited to do this one! Merry Christmas!