India: Power of Women Together

November 19, 2012

Welcomed with flower necklaces

Photo by Misho Baranovic

The song spoke of courage, of determination, of overcoming.  Inspiring! I listened to the strange, rhythmic words coming from the elected woman in the village, from time to time looking out at the audience of women and children. The colours of their clothes  were vibrant, and I found myself studying the patterns and colour combinations. Yes, it was a good, good day.

Women. Despite the language and cultural barriers, I felt a strong connection with the ladies from a farming village in Chhattinsgarh.  They had guts, and big smile to match.   Without a translator, we had a conversation about children. I said I had four, three girls and a boy.  These two ladies in the picture below had three each, two girls and a boy.

Women: we share stories.

woman self help group chhattisgarh

Sharing stories

Photo by Misho Baranovic

Women.  They spoke of change.  In their village, alcoholism was rife due to the illegal production.  The women together, went to the authorities, and were able to abolish alcohol in the village.  With this came education for the men who were gambling and drinking, causing violence and abuse in the homes.  But no more. They lady in the green sari above said now, their village is peaceful. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Women: we foster change.

Women.  During the welcoming chatter, I noticed a conversation between the women and the World Vision staff.  Later I found out they were raising some issues, and I LOVED that.  I thought YES, this is what women do, we make the most of opportunities, and we talk about stuff.  It also was a demonstration of the trust they hold in the World Vision staff, that they felt empowered to speak up and say what wasn’t working.

Women: we communicate.

Women.  They sang, we sang. They clapped, we clapped.  They smiled, we smiled.  We danced together. It was fascinating to see, to feel all lines blur; there was no barriers, no distinction.  Them and us: it was just a bunch of women together and THAT is powerful.

Women: the power of women together.

Smiling is a universal language

These women I’m talking about, are part of an established Women’s Self-Help Group.  This World Vision project brings women from a village together, and empowers them to support each other, save money together, and even do business together.  It’s a beautiful, beautiful thing and my heart sang at how confidient these women were and the changes they made, not only to their own families, but the entire community.

I felt even more proud to be a women this day.  Yes I did.

We were asked to sing a song for them, the only songs we could think of quickly were Advanced Australia Fair and Kookaburra Sits in The Old Gum Tree.  Yeah, we went with the fun one.

This experience made me think about what I am doing to support women, and what changes I could foster in my own community.  It confirmed to me the beautiful thing of women together, supporting and caring for eachother.  We can do great things.  I was inspired to be brave and live with courage; to overcome and grow; to inspire and change; to be a woman.

women's self help group chhattinsgarh

We are women

Photo by: Misho Baranovic

India: Come look at the farm

India: Missing

India: This post is in black and white

India: Look up

India: Hands and Hearts

India: I’ll carry this picture with me

India: World Vision India Blogger Trip

India: I have big news to share

DanielleNo Gravatar November 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm

So jealous. India is a ‘Soul Place’ of mine and I haven’t been back for 15 years!!
Beautiful stories of beautiful women.

Just lovely.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh, India has got into me, and while it was confronting, it was amazing and I MISS IT so much!

Deb @ Bright and PreciousNo Gravatar November 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I love this post so much, Kelly. You’re right, women: “we share stories”. The power of women is huge – so great that World Vision are empowering these women to find hope. I had a little bit of a giggle at the Kookaburra video – you girls are hilarious. :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Haha. Can you believe we chose THAT song!? hehe. Yes, I was so encouraged to see these women shining.

Michelle DennisEvans (@MichelleDEvans)No Gravatar November 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love this!
So encouraging to read. Love how you connected without a translator.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

It just confirmed to much, once again, just how connect women together are. It was such a powerful experience.

PlanningQueenNo Gravatar November 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Beautiful and I love the video! I am really enjoying your posts Kel.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for your support Nic. I’ve really felt it, and needed it.Thank you.

ElizabethNo Gravatar November 19, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Love, love, love, love everything about this. This is beautiful and this message must be carried in all women’s hearts because we are powerful together – it is part of our beauty.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Oh, yes. And I love this comment. It IS part of our beauty! Perfectly put.

Renee VeldmanNo Gravatar November 20, 2012 at 5:49 am

Amazing Kelly, you just fit in so well with that sea of vibrant colour, I can see you shine all the way here from Holland!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:25 pm

One of my most favourite things about India was the colour.

Seana SmithNo Gravatar November 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm

An older lady told me recently that the Dalai Llama has said that older women will save the world. I think so. Lovely to read your stories. Off to read more. Proud to be a woman.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Thanks Seana. After meeting these ladies, my heart just lept! I wanted to stand up and sing, “I am woman, hear me roar!” haha

Donna LongNo Gravatar November 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love the fact that woman all over the world can bond ………………….your amazing Donna and Da xx

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Donna, you support while I was over in India, was beautiful. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day, to encourage mine.