New Hair

It was time. Time for a change. I felt this way before: after the birth of my second child I lopped off my long locks to sport a short hairstyle.

8 years ago

before and after -- long hair to short hairstyle

New Haircut

Eight years on, and the same urge for change was knocking.  In the sometimes blurriness of motherhood, doing something drastic reminds me, that I’m me. It makes me feel alive and gives me a fixed point in time, a fresh start. I need these fixed points so I don’t lose myself in the chos.

before and after -- long hair to bob hairstyle

As I sat in the black hairdresser’s chair, I expected there to be a moment, a moment where I look at the mirrored reflection of myself as a farewell.  “This is it. Bye-bye hair.”  But there was no such moment. There was no hesitation.

I can’t say the same for my hairdresser. She said, “Are you sure? That’s a lot to cut off. Maybe just take a few inches at a time. Really sure? “

I said, “Do it.”

I’ve had the same reaction from others about my new hair do.

“You hair looks great!” And then, with concern, “Are you okay about it? I mean, that’s it’s so much shorter now?”

I feel great! I love it. You see, I’ve come to embrace change, as very often, it gives me the kick start I need. Change makes me think differently; it challenges me.

Styling

I don’t (can’t) spend time styling my hair. My hairdresser know this so she cut my hair in such a way so the styling is mininial.

hair styling products

When my hair is damp, I put a little mousse through and allow it to dry naturally. Once dry (if I’m not already out the door) I apply hairspray to my hair and turn out the ends with my hands for a bit of a flippy look. On the days I don’t wash my hair, I spray dry shampoo through so it doesn’t get greasy. Dry shampoo is THE BEST discovery for my hair!

short hairstyle

Little things to make me feel special

I capitalised on my new look and invested in some beauty items to make me feel special. These items are cheap, and I used to use them all the time, but somewhere down the line I forgot how wonderful my skin feels after using a shower scrub with exfoliating gloves followed by moisturising cream.  It’s nice reacquainting myself with a little luxury. Like a mini holiday…something for me.

beauty routine stuff

The awesomeness of the first flick of freshly cut hair. Until next time I want to do something drastic with my hair. :)

hair flick

What do you do to give yourself a little boost?

Other Posts

My Everyday Make up

Dakota Fanning Inspired Hair Tutorial

Elegant Up Do

Easy Up Do

Wear a Flower in Your Hair

Easy Hairstyles for Mums

Hair Fashion for (very) Time Poor Mums

The Fringe is In

Comments

I think it looks really pretty! I’ve just discovered dry shampoo too…. where has it been? And as for that bottle of sorbolene… that is something I can’t live without!!

• says

My hair is oily and using the dry shampoo means I don’t need to wash it everyday. It’s like a very fine powder (I use one for dark hair) and it absorbs the oil and also lifts my hair from my hair to give it a bit more life. :)

I’ve been exfoliating and moisturising my legs regularly, getting them ready for New York. It’s nice to take the extra time getting ready.
    Your hair looks great!

I think you look adorable! I love that last photo sooo much!

Do you know what? I have really greasy hair (needs washing every second day or I look really oily) and… I STOPPED using shampoo! It feels crazy but… my hair looks so much better already (it’s only been one week). I will tell you more about when I’ve been doing it for longer but it just makes. so.much.sense!

4. Kelly says

Thank you so much for this. I have not cut my hair in over 12 months, use nothing on my skin and have even given up waxing or shaving my legs. I feel like I have lost myself to being a mum of two small children and the ‘me’ is gone. I have been toying with cutting my hair for a while. I am going to make an appointment for this weekend and go the chop! Find some of me again!

Wow, you look great! I totally feel the same way about the feelings that come from a drastic hairstyle change. I’ve been back and forth between long and short, blonde and chocolate brown, and I think this was the push that I needed!

6. ms v says

Fabulous hair, Kelly! Isn’t it funny how an hour at the ‘right’ hairdresser can put the zing back into your outlook. Fresh face to the world! I love me a good scrub and a moisturiser — and have scraped in a few more minutes for myself by only washing hair twice a week! It took a few weeks to get into the swing of things, but now it lasts 4-5 days without getting oily. Marvellous.

• says

Exactly! I used to wash my hair EVERY DAY!!! Every single day. And now I have it down to every second day…hopefully can get it down to what you have done. Thanks for giving me the hope to persist!