I’m passionate about all kinds of play for kids. Following my post about the importance of play, I’ve put together the ideas provided by you all in this post of 50 Backyard Game Ideas.
50 Backyard Game Ideas
- Climb trees
- Moodle ball: Use a pool noodle as a bat and a soft toy ball. This is easy to play for very young children.
- Outdoor chalk drawing: Draw pictures, roads and cities
- Obstacle course (material ideas here: Backyard Obstacle Course)
- Wash doll clothes in a small bucket and hang on the line
- Push cars around
- Ride a scooter/skateboard
- Bike ride / Roller-skate
- Make a streamer tree (see our streamer tree in this post: Make a School Holiday Kit)
- Totem tennis
- Hula Hoop
- 10 pin bowling with empty soft drink bottles and a tennis ball
- Jump on the trampoline
- Throw a tennis ball on a wall and catch
- Play ball catch (min 2 people)
- Hopscotch (use chalk to draw the squares)
- Make a mud kitchen
- Sponge throw art: Hang a large piece of butchers paper on the clothes line and throw a spounge with watered down food colouring
- Blow bubbles
- Backyard picnic
- Hide and Seek
- Paddle pool or sprinkler fun (as water restrictions allow)
- Play parachute with a sheet
- Treasure hunt
- Nature hunt: On a piece of paper, write items for kids to find. (For example, 1 feather, 3 leaves, 1 smooth stones, a curly stick)
- Balance: Buy a thin piece of wood from a hardware store and lay on the grass. Walk across and balance!
- Kick the ball around
- Piggy in the middle
- Water bomb fight
- Spray bottle fun: Fill a spray bottle with water and use in water fights, to ‘sparkle’ plants or put in food colouring and spray an old sheet or piece of paper.
- Duck, duck, goose.
- What’s the time Mr Wolf?
- Balloon volleyball
- Backyard basketball
- French cricket
- Backyard soccer
- Create an imaginative play scene. (For ideas visit this page on my blog: Imaginative Play Scenes)
- Dance to music on the grass (make a dancing ribbon ring too)
- Put a large box in the backyard, provide texters and create something
- Throw Frisbee
- Pretend to cook with bowls, cups and spoons. Add some boxes and set up a restaurant or a shop.
- Throw paper planes
- Steal the tail: Tuck pieces of material in the back of an adult’s belt. The children run after the adult to try and catch a tail.
- Build a makeshift cubbyhouse. Visit this post for more ideas: Thrift Shop Cubby
Print the list: 50 Backyard Game Ideas
10 Backyard Games (my kids like to play)
My children and I had a lot of fun putting this video together. I think I had more fun editing it to the music.
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Lego Storage Ideas - February 1, 2015
- A Child-Sized City, Run by Kids: KidZania in Dubai - January 27, 2015
- Family Internet Safety - January 26, 2015
- 10 Ways to Entertain Kids on a Road Trip - January 24, 2015