Skipping Breakfast

February 8, 2012

Morning are hectic so I have started skipping breakfast.  I skip it because of the time, the busyness — yes — but I’ve also lost interest in toast and cereal at the moment. I needed inspiration.

My sister showed me her bulk breakfast yoghurt mix and it looked so yummy, I decided to make a version for me too. It’s easy and has sparked my interest in making time for breakfast in the morning again.

{bright ingredients}

Breakfast Oats and Yoghurt

Ingredients

Yoghurt: prepared in advance

1 Litre of Greek or Natural Yoghurt

2 Punnets Strawberries

1 Punnet Blueberries

Packet of apricot delight or ginger (optional)

Topping: put on before serving

3 Tbls rolled oats

2 Tbls Wheat Germ (optional)

2 Tbls Sunflour seeds or other seed mix (optional)

{This mix lasts my husband and I for 5 days}

breakfast yoghurt mix

In Advance

Put the yoghurt, blueberries, strawberries and apricot into a bowl or large container. Mix through. Cover and refrigerate. I put the seeds in too, to save me an extra step, but these are best added right before eating.

{that’s a lot of yoghurt}

breakfast yoghurt mix

In the Morning

Place a serving of yoghurt in a breakfast bowl and add choice of toppings. I mix wheat germ, rolled oats and sunflower seeds into the yoghurt mix.

{loving breakfast again}

breakfast yoghurt

Breakfast and I are friends again.

Do you eat breakfast every morning?

MeeganNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 11:27 am

I do a similar thing, because Breakfast and I are just not friends on weekdays!! But, mine is the lazy version, I just add store-bought museli to my yoghurt!! I think I need to try your version, it looks so good!!

KellyNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

That’s it! I love breakfast (and need it!) but it’s hard when I’m not feeling like the usual. This has given me a bit of a boost.

AlissaNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Ive just started smoothies – something different and easy to eat one handed while juggling the baby or helping the toddler. Can even pre make the night before and pop it in the fridge when time is tight in the mornings, but it is better fresh!

KellyNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I LOVE the idea of a smoothie too because, as you say, you can just sip away as you go. I don’t have a blender so I can’t but I’m looking into getting a Thermomix.

AlissaNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm

With a thermomix you’ll be laughing your way through breakfast!! ;) I’d LOVE one too, but I just can’t justify the cost when I already have every kitchen appliance you could possibly think of. My stick blender does a perfect quick job of it – and my son thinks mummies smoothies are yummy – so I get a good fruit serving into him too!!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Yeah, it is expensive isn’t it. I don’t have ANY kitchen stuff really…expect a crock pot. I don’t even have beaters so that’s why I think it may be a good investment for me…soon I hope!

TierneyNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I have just been talking this morning about how between making school lunches and family breakfast I don’t ever quite feel like eating myself… This looks much better than cereal or toast and just as quick. Thanks muchly.

KellyNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

That’s exactly how I feel too Tierney. I really need breakfast and this seems to give me some inspiration. Hope you enjoy it!

Katie ChisNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 10:27 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post… Breakfast is so important and it’s great your into it again, I have so many awesome Brekkie ideas… chat to me soon… Kate :-)

KellyNo Gravatar February 10, 2012 at 6:57 am

I know how important breakfast is…and usually I’m passing out by 10 am when I don’t eat it. HA! Glad to find some inspiration again. Bring on the Brekkie ideas baby.

Katie ChisNo Gravatar February 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Also try the best two things to add – psyllium husk and Chia Seeds,,,,

KellyNo Gravatar February 10, 2012 at 6:58 am

Oh yes, I’ve used those in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

TierneyNo Gravatar February 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’m substituting the strawberries for grapes (no strawberries up here at the moment) and the blueberries for tinned ones, and the seeds/oats for my husband’s muesli flakes. Still looks pretty good! Think I might actually eat breakfast tomorrow, which will be the first time in quite a while. :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I like the idea of grapes! They would keep well in the yoghurt. Hope you enjoy! :)

Veronica @ Mixed GemsNo Gravatar February 25, 2012 at 3:24 am

After discovering Evia Greek Style natural yogurt with no added sugar about a year ago, i do a similar thing. Mine’s less elaborate though. I added fruit occasionally but otherwise a handful of allow GI cereal for crunch, I tbsp of sunflower seeds, atbsp of pepitas and a tsp of craisins for a bit of sweetness and tang. I love it!