I quite enjoy the rain, and try and see it as an opportunity to think of different ways for the kids to play. It’s pouring here today and there is water everywhere so we are making the most of it by creating milk bottle lid boats and sailing them in the water run off. Check out the video (below) to see how much my son loved this activity. This can be great for fine days too: simply fill a container with water and float the boats!
Milk bottle lid
Paper (or leaf)
1. Press a small piece of blu-tack into the base of a milk bottle lid.
2. Colour in the corner of a piece of paper and cut out. It’s a good idea to make a few sails because they tend to get wet, but are easily replaced.
3. Thread the paper sail on to a toothpick (snip the sharp end off when you’re done) and press the mast into the blu-tack.
- To ensure the boat floats, use as little blu-tack as possible.
- You can also use a leaf for the sail, that way, it doesn’t get soggy when wet.
- Peanut Butter/Vegemite/Jam lids also work well.
There are many ways to play with this boat. Below are a few of them.
1. In a bowl of water
Lay a towel over a table.
Fill a small bowl wih water.
Blow the boat around the bowl.
The kids can add all sorts of toys to this play, for example animial figurines and pirates.
2. In the Bath
You can use milk bottle lids in the bath, with or without the sail (the sails can be a hazard so are best for older children and under supervision).
3. After the rain
After the rain has gone, there is often water in all sorts of places. Take a look and see where the boat can float.
4. Outside In a puddle
A puddle or a stream of water on the driveway (from the rain or use a hose when water restrictions allow) is an especially fun way to play with a milk bottle lid boat.
Just watch the video below to see my son’s excitement at this simple activity
After school, all the kids joined in and played races.
More ways to use the Milk Bottle Lid Template
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Backyard Hurdles - October 25, 2016
- Where to Design Your Own Sports Shirts - October 21, 2016
- Bring You, Embrace the Stage, Invest in the Moments - October 21, 2016
- How to Make Candy Flowers - October 21, 2016