A Little Bit of CandyLand

I’ve enjoyed taking pictures for Canon as part of the Canon Island Blogger Challenge. Challenge three was a Dessert Island and I immediately thought about Candyland from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. A world made of candy, complete with a chocolate river, is so awesome.

{I like the 1971 movie version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory best}

candyland willy wonka charlie and the chocolate factory

I couldn’t quite recreate Candyland  (I wish!) but made lolly flowers which are easy and fun to make.

how to make candy flowers -- lolly flowers

how to make candy flowers

Candy/Lolly Flowers

Materials:

Jube lollies, 2 toothpicks, kebab stick

How to:

1.Thread a green triangle dube candy down to the centre of the kebab stick. This will act as a leaf.

2. Thread a round candy on the top of the kebab stick.

3. Cut each toothpicks in half.

4. Use oval, round or triangle dube candy for the petals. Press the blunt side of the toothpick into the bottom of the candy.

5. Press the exposed sharp end of the toothpick into the side of the flower.

6. Repeat with the remaining 3 petals until the candy centre is surrounded.

How to make a flower lolly

Use it for:

• Birthday party centrepiece
  • Dinner party centrepiece
  • Birthday cake decoration
  • Put a small plastic cover over the top and add a ribbon for a gift. Make sure you include a small parts warning.
  • Activity for older children. They can create all sorts of things with these materials.
  • Photoshoot props

NOTE: These are not suitable for kids as they have sharp small parts, but they are brilliant for a birthday cake, table decoration or gift. If kids want to eat them, I would take the lollies off (remove all the sticks) and put them into a bag.

They look so pretty, I’ll add a few more pictures.

lolly flowers / candy flowers

candy flowers lolly flowers

how to make candy lolly flowers

how to make candy lolly flowersI used a Canon Powershot SX 40 HS to take the photograph above.

Dessert Island Photography

My Dessert Island photo is now live and you can see the one I chose here. I don’t want to be tiresome but if you did want to vote for my picture, click  here and press the ‘Vote for Entry’ under my profile. Thank you! Oh, and if I win this round, I get to give away a Canon IXUS 115 camera to one of my readers!

Relevant Posts

Lolly Crafts

Canon Island — Challenge 1

Canon Island — Challenge 2

The following two tabs change content below.
Kelly loves life at both ends of the spectrum: wearing high heel shoes one day and hiking boots the next; sipping tea out of a pretty cup and slurping hot coffee from a camping mug; challenging herself physically and stopping for quiet unhurried moments to feel the wind on her face. Kelly and her husband Matthew seek to live a fun and adventurous life with their four children and pet bird.

Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)

Comments

You, your ideas, your girls – and the lollies – all adorable.

(And I love this version of Charlie and the Chocolate facory best too.)

2. Kelly Tracey says

I only have boys, but will still definately be making these! The 1971 version of the movie is definately the best one. The more recent one follows the book a bit closer, but is too rushed, doesn’t develop the characters and the candyland doesn’t look anywhere as magical! Wow, I now have a sudden urge to go out and buy the dvd……and eat lots of junk food!

• says

The sharp sticks really are a hazzard so I wouldn’t recommend giving them to kids. As a rule, if the kids want to eat them, I would take all the sticks out and put the lollies in a bag.

BUT, I did let my older kids eat them off the stick because I was there and was very clear about it and my older girls are responsible. They just pulled them out before eating the lolly and it wasn’t an issue….but they def are a bit of a problem so here on the blog I would say no to be on the safe side.

They look brilliant on a cake, as a table centre & decoration for a photoshoot.

Maxabella, do you know I hear a happy voice when I read what you write? xx

Oh, perfect table topper for baby’s 1st birthday! I can’t help but wonder, an quite clearly I don’t buy lollies, where did you get the triangle shaped jubes?!

• says

The pack of dubes that I got from Woolworths has all different shapes/colours inside. There are triangle ones, square, oval and round. You can also buy mint leaves lollies to use instead if you like.

Could you use spaghetti sticks instead of the toothpicks? That is what our cake decorating friend did for Heidi’s birthday cake.

Love the lolly flowers idea :)

• says

Not sure Marita but it’s a great suggestion! I should try it next time…but I do think that it won’t be strong enough because you really need to be firm to push through the dube lollies. x