I love pet rocks. A lot. Sure, I do the activity for the kids but I secretly want to make one for myself too. They are easy to make and are really so adorable. A pet rock can be given as a gift, made for best friends (one for each friend), used as a paper weight, placed on a shelf for decoration (make an entire family of pet rocks), as part of an imaginative play scene or to play with.
Google Eyes (or use a paint pen)
Paint/Paint Pens/Pencils (optional)
Decoration items like a bow, wool for hair, material scraps (optional)
How to make a pet rock
1. Find a rock you like. Take notice of marks that can be used for a mouth/facial features.
2. Wipe the rock clean from any dirt or dust.
3. Decorate simply with google eyes, or any other way you like! Below are some materials you may like to work with:
- Googly Eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Paint pen
Love this rock family from Melissa Sweeney. Check out the one-eyed cutie on the right!
My daughter decorated her special rock with pencils.
Love these painted rocks from Musical Al.
Everybody Needs a Rock by Bryd Baylor, Pictures by Peter Parnall
I love finding books to go with the activities we do at home (when I can which is not all that often – ha!), and this book is on my top 10 favourite children’s books list.
I absolutely recommend this book! The words have a special rhythm and are strangly compelling.
“Bend over. More. Even more. You may have to sit on the ground with your head almost touching the earth. You have to look a rock right in the eye.”
I adore, no, I am absolutely enchanted by the illustrations. Each time I look at the simple pictures, there is something more to see.
If you buy one children’s picture book this year, make it this one. It’s quite hard to get in Australia but you can purchase it on Amazon.
Check out my Nature Crafts Board on Pintrest
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Productivity: Managing the house, the family and freelance work - November 29, 2014
- I wanted to be a Kylie - November 28, 2014
- A Fav Spot - November 25, 2014
- Could your friend have postnatal depression? - November 24, 2014