I don’t own a sewing machine so I’m always looking for ways to make things, no sewing required. This tutu skirt fits into the category beautifully; I made it in under 10 minutes!
What you can use the tutu for
Birthday party craft
Princess dress up party
Christmas (use white, red, green or gold tulle)
What you need
preferably soft tulle so it’s doesn’t itch
you can also use organza
you will need approximately 1 metre of tulle (or if using two different colours, 0.5 metres of each)
1. Cut a piece of elastic and tie so it makes a circle (make the circle a little smaller than your child’s waist).
2. Cut tulle into strips 15 cm wide strips x desired length. According to the height of my daughter, I cut the fabric into 15 cm x 70 cm strips. To measure how long you want the skirt to be, hold the fabric from the waist and measure to where you want the skit to end. Now fold the strand over to make a double length and cut (when the strand is folded in half, it will be the desired length).
You will need approximately 20 strips for tulle (more for organza). I didn’t measure the strips; I cut one 15 cm x 70 cm then guesstimated using the first piece as a template. It doesn’t need to be perfect because you can’t really tell once they are tied on the skirt (plus you can simple trim it at a last step if you need to). Two different colours work well, or rainbow colours!
3. The diagram below shows how to tie the tulle on the elastic. This is to ensure the material hangs down nicely.
- Fold a piece of material in half and lay over the top of the elastic.
- Thread the loop over the band.
- Feed the two ends through the loop.
- Pull down tight.
- Repeat until the entire elastic is covered.
Make a matching Ballerina Peg Dolly
Click the picture below for how to make a gorgeous matching Peg Ballerina Doll.
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Rainbow Flowers - April 25, 2015
- Cute Toy Canvas for Tween Study Space - April 25, 2015
- How Technology Has Changed Since We Were at School - April 21, 2015
- Mother’s Day: Cupcake Case Flower Arrangement - April 20, 2015