How to Make a Tutu (no sewing required)

August 3, 2011

how to make a no sew tutu

I don’t own a sewing machine so I’m always looking for ways to make things, no sewing required.  This tutu skirt fits into the category beautifully; I made it in under 10 minutes!

What you can use the tutu for:

Birthday party craft

Princess dress up party

Dress ups

Christmas (use white, red, green or gold tulle)

What you need:

Elastic

Tulle

• preferably soft tulle so it’s doesn’t itch
  • you can also use organza
  • you will need approximately 1 metre of tulle (or if using two different colours, 0.5 metres of each)

Instructions:

1. Cut a piece of elastic and tie so it makes a circle (make the circle a little smaller than your child’s waist).

{how to make a tutu: the size of the elastic circle will be in accordance to your child’s size}

how to make a tutu -- make a circle the size of your child

2. Cut tulle into strips 15 cm x 70 cm. You will need approximately 20 strips for tulle (more for organza). I didn’t measure the strips; I cut one then guesstimated the remaining stips because you can’t tell once they are tied on the skirt. Two different colours work well, or rainbow colours!

{how to make a tutu: cut tulle strips}

how to make a tutu -- cutting the tulle

3. Tie a tulle strip around the elastic waistband so both ends hang evenly.

{how to make a tutu: tie tulle around elastic}

how to make a tutu -- tie the tulle to the elastic

4. Continue until all the tulle is tied on.

5. Play!

{how to make a tutu: playing in the tutu}

how to make a tutu -- playing with the tutu

Make a matching Ballerina Peg Dolly

On the blog tomorrow, I’ll show you how to make this gorgeous matching Peg Ballerina Doll.

{click the picture for the peg ballerina doll tutorial}

ballerina peg doll

Other Links

How to make fairy wings

A Fairy’s Home or a Pirate Trap

ChristieNo Gravatar August 3, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Great no sew project, with a gorgeous result, Kel!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar August 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Christie. My little subject there was pretty pleased with the result. Wish I could sew though. I know I proably could sew if I took the time to learn. HA! In the meantime, I’ll keep finding ways to make things without sewing a stitch!

KristiNo Gravatar August 3, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Tthank you for another fantastic idea!! As i am not a sewing person at all this is wonderful! I am going to make this with my little girl this Friday (a forecasted rainy day here). I think I might even taper the ends & glue on some sequins. Love your page xx

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar August 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

Wonderful! It’s a perfect rainy day project. Ooo, sequins, that’s a gorgeous idea!

KristiNo Gravatar August 3, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thank you for another fantastic idea!! As i am not a sewing person at all this is wonderful! I am going to make this with my little girl this Friday (a forecasted rainy day here). I think I might even taper the ends & glue on some sequins. Love your page xx

Kirralee BakerNo Gravatar August 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

This is fantastic! Anything no-sew is good for me and also means the kids can help. Thank you Kelly.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar August 4, 2011 at 11:50 am

No worries. Go the no-sew ;)

Kate @ Puddles and GumbootsNo Gravatar August 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

This is so cute!!! I can’t sew either so these sorts of ideas are fabulous :-)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar August 4, 2011 at 11:50 am

My little subject was pretty pleased with the result too!

LeilaNo Gravatar August 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm

We went out last weekend to purchase all our materials (was already out and about but made a huge deal about it being a special trip just for her!) and then when we got home our internet crashed on us, so today while my miss 5 is home sick from kindy we are going to finish creating our tutu. I have hand sewn the elastic together though as i only had thicker stuff on hand :)
Thanks for a great idea, i’m sure she will love it!

LeilaNo Gravatar August 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Wow, her tutu looks fantastic, we bought some pink and purple organza and our strips measurements were smaller (and fewer of them lol) but she loves it!
We also purchased some red and green tulle for a Christmas themed one although i’m going to head out and buy some thin elastic like the one you used as i feel the cm wide one i had is just too thick.
She is parading around the house in it constantly spinning! Have put some pics on FB and shared the link to this post on each of them, thought i’d share a pic here but couldn’t work out how to do it so here is the link…

Kelly BNo Gravatar August 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm

That’s wonderful. Aren’t you a sweetie for coming back here to tell me about it. LOVE THAT. I tried that link but I don’t have permission to see that page but I’d love to see it! So you can either put it on my facebook wall https://www.facebook.com/Be.A.Fun.Mum or email me, you’ll find my address here http://beafunmum.com/contact/

Can’t wait to see it! x