Hair Fashion for (Very) Time Poor Mums

For a girl like me – who gets to a hairdresser about twice a year – a trip to Sydney to have my hair coloured and styled is like a dream come true!

You see, looking after my hair is pretty much at the bottom of my list when it comes to personal care.  It just all seems too hard sometimes so I either leave it out or throw it back (unbrushed) into a bun. I actually feel a bit disheartened.  Throughout my pregnancies, my hair changed colour, fell out in epic proportions (about 3 months after giving birth to each of my four children) was pulled at by toddlers and is basically not what it used to be. So my hair pretty much goes into the too-hard-basket and I get the odd cut now and again and colour my hair when I feel desperate.

When I talked to Pantene Hair Style Expert, Barney Martin, I felt some hope! But first, I want to tell you about flying to a different city to have my hair styled. How crazily awesome is that?!

Diary of my day

6.00 am Wake

8.45 am Drop kids to school

pg hair event nikki and I photo snap

9.20 am Meet award winning blogger, Nikki from Styling You, at Brisbane Airport

10.30 am Board plane

11.45 pm Arrive in Sydney

12.00pm Driver takes Nikki and I to the event

12.30 pm Arrive at Barney Martin Hairdressing. Drink great coffee and moist orange cake.pg hair event pantene nature fusion shampoo smell

1.00 pm Introduced to Pantene Pro-V Nature Fusion Shampoo & Conditioner (200ml $4.89), enriched with ingredients derived from Cassia seeds.  It smells wonderful! The new formula combines science and nature to give hair fullness and shine.  I use Pantene Pro-V at home because it doesn’t weigh my hair down, so I’m excited to try this new formula. Nikki from Stying You covers interesting facts about Pantene, hair colour, silicons and a lot of other cool stuff  this in this post:  I Flew to Sydney for a Blow Dry.

2.00 pm Colour my hair with the Nice ‘n Easy Colour Blend Foam ($17.99). Extremely easy pg hair event nice n easy easy colour blend foamto prepare: I pour one bottle into another, tip the bottle gently up and down 3 times and squeeze the bottle to apply the no-drip foam.

2.10 pm Colour washed off with an awesome head massage.pg hair event blow dry

2.30 pm Enjoy a pot of tea while having my hair styled (bliss!). My lovely hair stylist puts Wella Pro Series Volume Mousse (250ml $7.99) into my wet hair before blow drying.  The gorgeous lose curls are set with Wella Pro Series Max Hold Hair Spray (400ml $7.99).

2.40 pm Confessed to hair stylist Michael that the extent of my  styling is blasting my hair in the car using the car heater. He makes a good point about pg hair styling hairthe importance of  focusing more on the condition of your hair rather than styling…because if hair is in good condition, any style looks good. Still feel disheartened about having so little time to even look after my hair, let alone style it!

2.45 pm Ring husband to check he is okay to get the kids from school.

3.00 pm Say goodbye to my fellow bloggers.

pg hair group shot

(from the back) L to R: Me, Nikki — Styling You, Emma — Emma’s Brain, Lori — RRSAHMZoey — GoodGoogs, Brenda — The Mother Media, Mrs Woog — Woogs World, Trish — My Three Little Drummer Boys

3.10 pm Driver takes Nikki and I to Sydney Airport

4.00 pm Board plane at Sydney Airport

5.15 pm Arrive in Brisbane

6.00 pm Home again :D

Before and After

I’ve always wanted to do a before and after shot. HA! Love my new shiny colour (Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Dark Reddish Brown).

PG Hair Event Before and After Shots

Hair Care Tips for Time Poor Mums

I love trying new hair products and learning new things, but when it comes down to it, I don’t have much time to invest in hair care.  So, I asked Barney Martin, Award Winning Hair Style Expert, what his top 3 tips for (very) time poor mums.  The tips cover these three concepts: invest, protect and style.

1.  Invest

To make sure your hair is healthy then protection is key! Treat your hair styling tools as an investment for great hair. The cheaper brands may be tempting but spending a little extra and the results will pay off, and make sure you always use heat protection sprays and serums when blow drying or straightening your hair.

2.  Protect

Certain activities with the children can have adverse affects on your hair, for example swimming lessons. You should wet your hair with fresh water before swimming in chlorinated swimming pools, to will help prevent the harsh chemicals penetrating the cuticle and drying your hair out. If you do have regular swimming sessions then using a treatment once a week can help top keep the hair hydrated and nourished.

3.  Style

If you have straight hair and want to give it some more waves, go to bed with your hair damp in a twisted top knot. Let it out in the morning for natural-looking beachy waves. Spritz with hairspray to hold.

The Week After

This week, I challenged myself to think a little about “Hair Fashion” (which is honestly not something I’ve thought about before).  I’ve put it together in this Vlog:

It comes down to three concepts I drew from Barney’s tips: Invest, Protect, Style.  If you’re like me and find your hair fits in the too-hard-basket, start with the three concepts and apply them to your own hair, and go from there. It’s all about discovering what works for your hair, so looking after it becomes easy and quick.

Invest — Protect — Style

Did your hair change after you became a Mum?

Products I’m Using

pantene nature fusion, wella pro series, clariol nice 'n easy colour blend foam

• Pantene Nature Fusion Shampoo & Conditioner
  • Wella Pro Series Volume Mousse
  • Wella Pro Series Max Hold Hair Spray
  • Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Dark Reddish Brown

Note: I flew to Sydney thanks to Procter & Gamble. I was not commissioned or paid to write this post.  You can read about the different types of posts I write on this blog in my disclosure statement.

Professional Photos Courtesy of Georgina Morrison

Other Hair Style Posts

Easy Elegant Hair-Do Tutorial

Elegant Christmas Hair Style Tutorial

Hair Up, No Hair Band

Where I’ve Been

The following two tabs change content below.
Kelly loves life at both ends of the spectrum: wearing high heel shoes one day and hiking boots the next; sipping tea out of a pretty cup and slurping hot coffee from a camping mug; challenging herself physically and stopping for quiet unhurried moments to feel the wind on her face. Kelly and her husband Matthew seek to live a fun and adventurous life with their four children and pet bird.

Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)

Comments

1. Stacey K says

After each of my three babies were born I got my long hair chopped short. I now have my all time favourite cut, a bob that can be smooth & sleek if I have time or scruffy & tousled if I don’t.
    My hair changed dramatically with my first pregnancy, my not quite straight hair got curly! I kept those curls for five years until I got pregnant with baby number 2. When baby 2 was six weeks old I was so ready to chop off my long not so curly hair, that even though I told my hairdresser when I was pregnant no matter what I say she wasnt to chop it I still managed to chop it all.

• says

Bobs are just gorgeous. Is your hair thick Stacey? I’ve tried it before but my hair is not quite straight enough, or thick enough to pull it off. But I adore a great bob. That is so amaing about the curly/straight thing. I just goes to show that having babies really does stuff your hair around. Sounds like you’ve got a great hair fashion going! xx

I <3 Pantene – it's the best!

After I had my first baby, I went from long hair (which the baby kept pulling on LOL) to shoulder length and then after baby #2, went REALLY short. Now those babies are 17 & 14, my hair is longish-short if that makes sense! Collar length? It's not as severe as being short-short but is still very easy to wash and dry and style. Because it's quite fine I blow dry it upside down for volume and tease it up a bit on the crown. I also have blonde foils to freshen it up, and that gives it more body.

• says

I went really short after my second baby was born. I hated it. HA! It just fell so flat on my head… but I’m so envious of people who can carry a really short cut…it looks gorgeous!

It’s so helpful to hear about what styles work for different people because it gives me a hope that I can find something that works in my hair.

I guess it wouldn’t take very long for your hair to dry hey…Sounds like you know what work in your hair well…I <3 Pantene too. I’ve tried a lot of different shampoos but nothing works as well.

Love your new colour! It’s beautiful. I got sick of my mumsy hair a few weeks ago and went from long hair to short hair. I got tired of pulling it up into a pony tail, now I have to do something with it!

• says

Thanks! It’s really nice. It’s not too red…just the right amout. Oooo, short hair. Nice! Do you just put some Mousse in it and scrunch it of a morning or do you have to blowdry it?

4. Leila says

Oh my littlest is 1 on Saturday and my hair still falls several dozen strands at a time. Hubby has threatened to chop it all off in my sleep if i don’t get it cut. Nothing i have used seems to work to stop it falling out either :( Off to the hairdressers i’ll be going to leave with shoulder length instead of backside length hair…eventually anyway lol)

• says

It’s not nice when it keeps falling out…I know that feeling well. I reckon it takes until my child is about 2.5 for my hair to become more stable…

Maybe ask the hairdresser to cut it so it’s really easy to style. And you probably can leave a bit of the length at the back and layer it so you don’t feel it’s too short. xx

• Leila says

Now there is my problem lol, i don’t remember my hair falling out with my oldest who is now 11 (and gasp off to high school next year!) but i also have a 5, 3 and the 11 month old so i’ve not really let my hair have time to recover from any of them before the next one arrives. At least i can hope that it might only be another 18 months before it is back to being manageable and in my head lol

• says

Thanks lovely. Straightners are great but they do tend to fry don’t they? Try Nikki’s tip in the comment below:

“Another one for busy women is to wash and let dry naturally the night before. Then spray thermal protectant and iron the next morning. The new ghd and Cloud Nine irons will be kinder in your hair than older models.”

Love your post, Kelly – and thanks for the link up! Great tips. Another one for busy women is to wash and let dry naturally the night before. Then spray thermal protectant and iron the next morning. The new ghd and Cloud Nine irons will be kinder in your hair than older models.

You look amazing. I went to the hairdressers when my second daughter was 9 months old – she is now over 2 and a half! I’m lucky if I brush my hair let alone anything else these days. I am thinking of going a bit glam before Blogopolis.

Great post!! Thanks for all of those great links and tips. I just don’t really get anytime for myself. However I think I am going to try some of what you have suggested above.

• says

Glad you found it helpful Bronwyn. I know what you mean: I too find it so hard to find any time for myself. But do give it a go because I’m already feeling more confident with my hair! xx

8. k says

Hi Kelly, thanks for the info, very helpful… just one question, what do you mean by “dry shampoo” on the second day, in the Vlog, i also have very oily hair, and would be interested to know. Thanks