100 School Holiday Activity Ideas

June 25, 2011

100 school holiday ideas
School holiday are here! And I like it. Mind you, there is always an adjustment period at my place, when the children are settling into a new routine and getting used to being around each other more.  Three days it usually takes for us all to adjust.

This school holidays, I’m looking forward to lazy mornings, no school lunches and the flexibility to do things with the children when I want.  The trick to fun school holidays is to keep the kids busy with enough down-time so Mum isn’t worn out.

To help you get the most out of this school hoidays, I’ve put together this MASSIVE list of 100 school holiday ideas. I’ve broken the list down into categories to help you find ideas that will suit you and your kids.  If you want to plan the weeks out, The Organised Housewife has a free School Holiday Planner Printable . Have fun!

100 School Holiday Activity Ideas

• Home: Inside
  • At Home: Outside
  • At Home: Arty and Crafty
  • Out and About
  • Adventurous
  • At Night
  • When It’s Raining
  • Quiet Time

At Home: Inside

1. Make an ant farm.

2. Bake cupcakes.

3. Make a cubby house under the table.

4. Invite friends over to play.

5. Make homemade pizza.

6. Dance to music.

7. Have a theme day. This may be butterflies, pirates, princesses, fairies, dinosaurs or a particular colour.

8. Make an inside obstacle course with cushions, pillows, boxes, chairs and blankets.

9. Ice biscuits.

10. Play dress ups and do a play.

11. Make a themed play space: in a large rectangle bucket or tray create your own play scene. For example: use a smaller container (like an empty margarine container) filled with water, and in the rectangle bucket place rocks, small twigs, bark or sticks from trees for an outdoor scene.  I love this one from Picklebums.

12. Go on a colour hunt in your house. Collect objects of a certain colour and take a picture of your finds to make a collage. Also an idea by Picklebums.

13. Buy a note book and get the child/ren to write a school holiday diary (or draw pictures every day for young children).

14. Reorganise the children’s room (with their help).

15. Make fruit Kebabs.

16. Write a letter to someone.

At Home: Outside

17. Hang a sheet from a tree to make an outside cubby house.

18. Fly (cut to length) crepe streamers in the wind.

19. Eat outside.

20. Do general gardening or plant a vegetable or herb garden.

21. Make an outside obstacle course. Click here for ideas.

22. Play Backyard games.

23. Blow bubbles. Frills in the Hills has a great recipe for homemade bubble mixture.

24. Do an outside treasure hunt.

25. Create an outdoor play garden. Create a small space of dirt and fill with pots, small rake, bucket, spoons, utensils and solid plastic toys like animal figurines. I like this one from The Imagination Tree.

26. Make a flower head wreath.

At Home: Arty and Crafty

27. Make fairy wings.

28. Make a Zorro mask out of a strip of black material with two eye cut outs.

29. Create a family artwork on a large canvas.

30. Make recycled paper.

31. Collect flowers and press them inside book between baking paper.

32. Colour-in. You can print a variety of colouring in sheets online.

33. Face painting.

34. Make Photo Paper Dolls.

35. Make a robot out of cardboard boxes.

36. Make a treasure map out of brown paper.

37. Make a musical tree. See here for details.

38. Be crafty at home: knit, paper craft, play dough, cooking or painting.

39. Make up a travel drawing box.

40. Paint toe nails. (Boys like this too!)

41. Make boats out of milk bottle lids, a straw (for the mast), paper (for the sail) and blue-tack to stick the sail on to the boat.

42. Make a leaf collage picture.

43. Glue cut out pictures from a magazine or junk mail to a piece of paper.

44. Make a photo book: take photos of your favourite things and collate them into a book.

45. Make sock puppets by gluing wool on the top of an old sock and using a permanent marker to draw eyes, nose and a mouth.

46. Do a self-portrait. Stick a large piece of butchers to the wall (or lay on the floor) and trace around your body.

47. Make a long paper-clip chain.

Out and About

48. Visit a museum

49. Go Geocaching.

50. Go window shopping and have a special morning tea.

51. Go see a movie.

52. Eat a big ice-cream.

53. Visit a library.

54. Fly a kite.

55. Have a picnic outside.

56. Visit a park or playground.

57. Look out for butterflies and birds for a day.

58. Go fruit picking.

59. Plan a day trip:

• animal farm
  •  new town
  • historical village
  • market
  • environmental centre
  • hiking
  • bush walking
  • drive up a mountain
  • visit the beach
  • the country
  • theme park

60. Visit someone lonely.

61. Collect shells on the beach.

62. Go ten tin bowling.

63. Visit a planetarium.

64. Feed ducks at a pond.

65. Go fishing.

66. Look for organised school holiday opportunities at art schools, museums, shopping centres, national parks, libraries and councils.

67. Go swimming. (If Winter, look for a heated pool).

68. Visit and share something of your own childhood with your child/ren. This may be a home you lived in as a child, where you honeymooned or favourite place.

69. Look for free activities at a shopping centre.

70. Go for a walk.

71. Visit Dad or Mum at work.

Adventurous

72. Go Bike-riding

73. Catch a train.

74. Go Ice-skating or roller-skating.

75. Catch a bus.

76. Go on a bush walk or hike.

77. Go on a nature hunt.

78. Make a cubbyhouse from items from a second hand shop.

79. Catch a ferry.

80. Allow your kids to learn a new skill. Look for workshops in horse-riding, pottery, art, rock climbing and drama.

81. Have a quest. This may be photographing butterflies for a day, hunting for cool letterboxes, looking for street signs for the names of the people in your family or tasting 3 different types of cookies and cream ice-cream.

At Night

82. Look at the stars.

83. Walk on the beach at dusk

84. Go on a nature walk down your street with a torch.

85. Have a movie night. You can make your own popcorn cups by making a cone shape with a piece of paper and taping it together.

86. Toast marshmallows in the oven before threading them on to sticks (parent would do this).

87. Eat at a family restaurant.

When It’s Raining (also see At Home: Inside)

88. Go to an indoor play centre.

89. Play with umbrellas in the rain.

90. Collect rain in a bucket.

91. Play inside games like hide and seek or duck, duck goose.

92. Photograph the raindrops on the window and include them in a photo book.

93. Go for a drive in the car.

94. Visit a friend’s house (or invite a friend over to play at your place).

Quiet Time

95. Play board/card games like Monopoly, Dictionary, Pictionary, Snap, Taboo, Hungry Hippo, Scategories, The Old Maid.

96. Watch a DVD at home.

97. Stay in your PJs all day.

98. Make a “city” with cars, toys and boxes for buildings.

99. Lie on the grass and watch the clouds.

100. Have “rest” time where everyone plays quiet games like reading or puzzles on their own bed.

If you have more ideas to add, leave them in the comments below.

Family Holiday Links

Planning a Family Holiday

Entertaining Kids When Travelling

Printable Holiday Packing Lists

The Car Box List

MeeganNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 8:20 am

As soon as I saw your message yesterday about this list, I was knew I’d be reading it while I eat my rice bubbles! The list is awesome – we will checking of quite a few of these I’m sure!!! Meegan

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 8:55 am

Great! Hope the list is helpful, a and enjoy your rice bubbles. :)

NicoleNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 8:27 am

If anyone says “I’m Bored” they have a serious problem!” Awesome list.
Shall knock over a few once the novelty of our new sand villiage “Rileys World” has run out.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 8:56 am

Exactly, there’s enough ideas here to last months LOL. I want to visit Riley’s world too. Sounds fun hehe

Stacey KNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 10:09 am

Awesome list Kelly, we’ve still got 2 more weeks of school here in SA, so I’ve got plenty of time to get organised.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Stacey! Hope you enjoy the School Hols! x

ElizabethNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 11:51 am

What a great list. Thank you as I am sure to need it.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Great! Hope it helps!

nellbeNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for such a great list Kelly, it will come in very handy for sure.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 12:52 pm

No worries Nellbe. Enjoy the hols.

Steph LNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm

My girls made up their own game today – taking turns towing each other around in a cardboard box on the driveway. only needs a cardboard box (big enough for kid to sit in and a skipping rope (or other rope). 1 child stands a few feet in front of the box and wraps skipping rope around their waist, so that both handles are at the back. 2nd child sits in the box, and holds both handles. First child starts pulling forwards and hopefully they move a decent amount before the box hits an obstruction (rock, crack in pavement) and the box tips. Misses 5 and 8 liked it so much, the took the box to their Dad’s house to play it again (even though the bottom of the box looked decidedly worse for wear)!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 26, 2011 at 7:58 am

That brought a smile to my face Steph. Just gorgeous!

JulieNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Brilliant!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 26, 2011 at 8:00 am

Happy school holidays Julie.

KimberleyNo Gravatar June 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Fun & helpful ideas. Fantastic post =).

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 26, 2011 at 8:01 am

:D glad

RachaelNo Gravatar June 26, 2011 at 11:41 am

Your site really is a wonder! I loved your iphone camera tips and this is a great list of things to do in the holidays. Hope you’re having a lovely weekend..Rachaelxx

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 27, 2011 at 8:23 am

Thank you Rachael! Such a lovely thing to say! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the blog. Makes me glad. x

EliseNo Gravatar June 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

You well and truly have it covered. Thank you Kelly for sharing such a fabulous list.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 27, 2011 at 8:24 am

You’re welcome!

CaseyNo Gravatar June 27, 2011 at 8:13 am

Genius as always Kel. How about climb a tree and scare the bajingies out of Mum by how high you can get, then make her climb up and get you because you are too scared to climb down… Or was that just my brothers and I as kids? We grew up on acreage and climbing trees was always a favourite!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 27, 2011 at 8:25 am

BAHAHA! That sounds like a very familiar scenario. Climbing trees is a heap of fun. I’m still known to do it. True story!

Helen HarkerNo Gravatar June 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm

What a fab list, it’s great to gather ideas from others particularly with 4 kids and the summer break just weeks away! Other things i do include, beauty salon and the boys love having their sister glitter them up. Shaving foam or cornflour make good messy play or kitchen fun and clean up very easily.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Oooo yes! Shaving cream is awesome isn’t it? Thanks Helen.

Leisa HigginsNo Gravatar June 29, 2011 at 8:18 am

Thanks Kel – my two boys are driving me crazy already with the “I’m bored” “Can we do something?” “What are we doing today”. I’ve pulled out the old Power Ranger DVDs and that keeps them occupied after breakfast for an hour so I can get all the essentials done but today, when that is done, we are going to sit down with your list and make a plan.

Thanks heaps!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hope you’re feeling inspired Leisa! And I hope you enjoy some of the activities and they steer of the boredom xx

Michelle GilmoreNo Gravatar September 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm

What a great list! Thanks – will link this via facebook. And yes, every holiday there is the settle in period – we find if we do something a bit different – big days out or the weekend away.. they get used to each other without the explosions.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar September 22, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Thanks Michelle!

ZionNo Gravatar January 16, 2012 at 5:11 pm

hey guys, im from bangladesh and spending a long winter vacation. in bd, these are impossible for a mum and child to do. we live in apartments, no gardens, children are not allowed to go outdoor, and are given no money. the’re beaten or scolded if they just mess up in the house.

Lucy HellensNo Gravatar March 24, 2012 at 4:04 am

hey:) i’m 12 and surprisingly am not a mother. i read through your blog and i will be doing most of those things myself as i still enjoy doing all this kind of stuff. thanks a ton for making my holiday just that much more fun. xx Lucy

hannahNo Gravatar December 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I think i’ll print this page out a then cut out the ideas
And put them in different boxes, e.g. Rainy days and then
I’ve always got great ideas on hand.
Thankyou so much for creating this list :-)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm

What a wonderful idea Hannah! Love it!

LilyNo Gravatar November 15, 2013 at 3:38 am

OH BETTER PRINT A COPY OF THIS PAGE IT’S A KEEPER

Tierney KennedyNo Gravatar January 2, 2013 at 10:02 am

Here are a few more that we have done these holidays:
1. Wash the car with water balloons
2. Shoot down bubbles with water pistols
3. Draw targets with chalk and throw wet balls at them to score points
4. Use chalk to draw a car track on the cement to play on (the wash it off afterwards with a hose)
5. Turn the couches into a fort for playing knights and princesses (mummy gets to sit on the couch and come up with various missions such as saving all the teddies from the nasty dragon)
6. Paint and colour a landscape scene then stick on coloured in pictures of diggers etc
7. Write and illustrate a silly story together. We wrote “Grandma’s super special spy paints” about how our Grandma was no ordinary Grandma, but instead wrote invisible messages in her paintings. Grandma loved it too!

http://www.freedecoratingtips.350.com/No Gravatar February 13, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Precisely how much time did it take u to publish “100 School Holiday Activity Ideas”?
It includes quite a bit of beneficial knowledge.
With thanks ,Nila

http://chiarao.Weebly.comNo Gravatar March 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

“100 School Holiday Activity Ideas” was indeed a great
blog. In case it possessed alot more pix this would
likely be possibly even better. Regards -Paul

rashNo Gravatar March 21, 2013 at 6:58 am

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to grasp so much approximately this, like you
wrote the book in it or something. I feel that you can do
with some p.c. to force the message house a bit, however instead of that, that is wonderful blog.
A great read. I will certainly be back.

ipod touch 5th generation clock radioNo Gravatar April 3, 2013 at 8:02 am

Thanks for some other informative web site. Where else could I get that type of information written in such
an ideal method? I have a project that I am simply now operating on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such information.

Dominos Vouchers CodesNo Gravatar April 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having
a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not
100% positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

wood bunk bedNo Gravatar May 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post.
Many thanks for supplying these details.

read hereNo Gravatar June 7, 2013 at 5:43 am

If a chunk of demand comes on, then it’s going to bid the spot price up to sort of pull it in. Tony Whitehead, from the highs in the high teens and we have needed to be formed by agencies involved in solar heating energy investment is down to 2009 levels. Ajay Sabherwal Those are very specific questions and you probably have your own model there. AsYuliya Chernovahas written in the Wall Street Journal story,” States Cooling to Solar Heating Energy, Farooq Abdullah called upon the industry leaders to invest in this business.

pool cleaning West HoustonNo Gravatar July 30, 2013 at 12:02 am

Great bad pool caller repair xp shops may offer only a few services of a vast variety of
services. Actually I’d suggest a more agressive tire might be the best solution for your problem Want to know the reason to put them on the front wheels, then I should be in 4 WD mode. If you don’t
trust your mechanic and if you have been taken against them.
I wouldn’t be able to point you in the direction of wheel travel, and laterally as well.

messenger bagNo Gravatar August 31, 2013 at 3:11 am

The long-established workstation has certain approach to the laptop mainframe and can currently be beside yourself to everywhere one wants to do
suchlike they do on the computer. Hands down, the leather jacket
of the moment is the motorcycle jacket,
in classic black leather. Keeping it inside a plastic damages
your own overpriced ladies handbag.

leather bagNo Gravatar September 21, 2013 at 3:19 am

Check to see if the color of thread matching the color of the
bag. Ostrich leather, calf leather, and crocodile leather
are all commonly used in Italian leather handbags.
The final choice to make when looking for a shoulder tote bag is what many consider the most
important, the style of the bag.

MadelineNo Gravatar September 21, 2013 at 8:44 am

you could also add in puffing billy the kids always loves it and for a family (my family is big) it only costs $166 or so,
kids love it also the parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzOT8eq9gisNo Gravatar November 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Online PC games have not been given enough praise due to the stable release of games for expensive
consoles such as XBOX and Ps. For example, IDM works with Microsoft
ISA, and FTP proxy servers. What adds to Game – FLOW is
that it’s based off of real life NFL playbooks from
all 32 teams as well as your basic offensive and defensive playbooks, such as the Run ‘N Gun offensive and the 4-3
defensive books.

gwenNo Gravatar December 21, 2013 at 3:36 am

This list is really helpful! Thanks really very much Kelly! :)

Judy WatersNo Gravatar December 28, 2013 at 12:43 am

I enjoyed the ideas about catching the bus,train and ferries. My kids thought you actually meant use a net and catch them. Be careful how you word certain activities plus you can also include going to seesanta and make a day trip to go to gulivers

Toy Remote Control And Play VehiclesNo Gravatar March 19, 2014 at 2:35 am

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?
I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a tough time
making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most
blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

russian dollsNo Gravatar March 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Howdy! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do
you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog
looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might
be able to correct this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.
With thanks!

John SmithoNo Gravatar March 22, 2014 at 9:18 am

The kids should be the ones toasting the marshmallows and putting their hands in the fire, what were you thinking IT WOULD BE TO DANGEROUS FOR AN ADULT TO DO THIS

solar panel energy efficiencyNo Gravatar March 23, 2014 at 5:21 am

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be
happy. I have read this post and if I may I desire to counsel you some fascinating things
or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article.
I desire to read even more issues approximately it!

??????No Gravatar March 31, 2014 at 12:59 am