This brilliant tutorial on how to make your own fairy wings is a guest post by costume designer Elizabeth O’Brien.
Make Your Own Fairy Wings
- 4 Wire coat hangers
- Wire cutters
- Duct tape
- 4 natural coloured knee high stockings
- Spray paint
- Glitter glue
- Glue gun
1. Take the four coat hangers and bend each one into an oval shape.
2. Take two of the hangers, cut the hook off down to the point where the wire spiral starts.
3. Take the two spiral ends and wrap them tightly with duct tape. Repeat this process with two more hangers.
4. Use duct tape to join both sets of two. At this stage you can refine the wing shape if desired.
5. Stretch one knee high stocking over each wing. Pull the ends tight to the center where the hangers are taped. Twist and hold until the stockings are tight on all four wings. Us duct tape to secure.
6. In a well-ventilated area, use spray paint to add some soft colour to the tips and middle of the wings. Leave them in a safe place until they are touch dry.
7. Measure your child’s arms for the elastic. Tie it around the taped center. Wrap the middle of the wings with felt and glue with a hot glue gun. Make sure the glue seam and the elastic is where your child’s back will be.
8. With some chalk, sketch out your floral or decorative pattern.
9. Trace over this pattern with glitter glue. Leave to dry over night.
Elizabeth O’Brien designed the costumes for the children’s program Magical Tales.
Read my full interview with Elizabeth O’Brien here: Magical Tales.
Be A Fun Mum Links
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Outdoor Christmas Ideas - December 17, 2014
- Book Review: Bully On the Bus - December 17, 2014
- Christmas Wish List Printable (Want-Need-Wear-Read) - December 14, 2014
- Life-Sized Gingerbread House - December 13, 2014