Paper Clip Crafts and Activities

February 9, 2011

Such a sweet little thing, the paper clip. And useful too. I purchased a few packets of paper clips and below is what the children and I did with them.

Make a necklace

Don’t these necklaces look cute? Simply link paper clips togther until you have the desired length.

paper clip necklace

Kids Bedroom Decoration

Materials:Paper clips, single hole punch, greeting cards, scissors

1. Make a paper clip train by linking the clips together.

2. Cut up gretting cards or other images.

3. Hole punch each picture at the top.

4. Fasten picture to the paper clip chain with another paper clip

paper clip chain

The pictured loft bed is the best thing I’ve purchased for my school children’s rooms. Their rooms are small so this system utilises the space well and the children LOVE it. Harvey Norman: Oddesey Loft Bed.

Paper Clip Message Chain

Materials:Paper clips, single hole punch, envelopes

1. Make a paper clip train by linking the clips together.

2. Link shorter paper clip chains underneath the longer one to create a series of loops.

3. Hole punch envelopes and hang on the hanging loops.

Paper clip message chain

Music Shaker

Colourful paper clips in a jar look super-cute plus they make a fun sound for little ones. Make sure the lid is taped down well so there is no risk of opening.

paper clip music shaker

Single mobilepaper clip haning mobile

1. Make a paper clip chain to the desired length.

2. Cut out a favourite picture. I used a used greeting card.

3. Punch a hole in the top and fasten to the paper clip chain.

4. Hang.

Make a heart

paper clip heart

I remember making these at school. Simply pry a paper clip carefully open to create a heart shape.

Paper Clip Bookmark

1. Tie a piece of string, wool or ribbon to a paper clip.

2. Slide the paper clip on the page you’re at and allow the string to hang outside the book.

paper clip book mark

What can you do with paper clips?

External Links

I’m linking up today to Childhood 101 We Play for a heap of other great play ideas!

Other Activity Posts

Op Shop Cubby

A Pile of Straws

We Play: Blu Tack

Inhibiting Play

Make Scramble Eggs Tonight, Have Fun Tomorrow

Nicole GrantNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

What great ideas! And such a good fine motor activity too ;)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 1:20 pm

HA! Yes! OT in you coming out. ;) It’s a great fine motor activity…

LouisaNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Great idea and the pics are fantastic!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thanks Louisa. LOVE pictures :D

CatherineNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Love these ideas! I especially like the paperclip chain for hanging pictures and art.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Yeah, Catherine. The weight of the paper clips hands very nicely :D

LilianNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I adore paper clips.
Very creative — great way to keep the kids occupied.
But I can see my 4 year old now… taking it all apart.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm

LOL…yes…true…that’s what the shaker is for… and all the bent ones can go in the jar too ;)

BookChookNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm

It’s amazing what you can do with the humble paper clip! I have one other suggestion to offer: when you’re making a paper aeroplane, put a paperclip on the nose of the plane to influence its flight.

Go on, you know you want to!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 10, 2011 at 7:17 am

Oh, yes…paper plane…good idea BC

SheriNo Gravatar February 10, 2011 at 12:14 am

Hi Kelly,

It looks like you all had a blast doing paperclip crafting! I got a REAL kick out of your son–he’s a little ham, huh?

I love all the projects you all made, but I especially liked the way you used greeting cards to make the garland.

Have a great day! Thoughts and prayers are still with you!

Sheri

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar February 10, 2011 at 7:18 am

He certianly is. He makes me laugh…

Thanks for thinking of me Sheri xx

LucyNo Gravatar July 15, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I love your site! This just screams creativity! I love how you take something so simple and neglected like paper clips and just transform into something so artsy or so functional! I’m going to reuse all of my paper clips!

Ria PlateNo Gravatar February 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Wow! How creative and resourceful! This proves that we can make a lot of things from simple paper clips. And the finished product are great and truly amazed me. This will definitely come in handy.

Jones sabo mickey mice then minneyNo Gravatar May 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too wonderful.