I Stay Up Too Late

February 5, 2011

I stay up too late. It’s bad — I know.  My husband often says, “Why don’t you go to bed earlier?” I have a list of the usual excuses: have so much to do, get school lunches ready, washing to fold, la-de-da-de-da.  These are all valid  excuses but  I know the real reason why I stay up late. It’s time when I can just be, me.  Time when I can sit in silence with no interruptions. Time when I’m responsible for no one but myself. I can even go to the toilet without a companion. It’s time I can be alone.

I need some time, when I’m not unconscious — you know when I’m actually awake — to just be. I love being  Mother and I wouldn’t trade that for anything  but I’ve come to enjoy the night time too, when I can make a cup of tea without the need to boil the jug 10 times. Just me and my tea {sigh}.

i drink tea

i read

i twitter

i pray

i just be

Then I sleep…for a little while.

And get up and do it all over again.

SLEEP

TrishNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 8:44 am

Yes Kelly i agree bet there are a few of us Mum’s who stay up late for some me time…i like to do that too or else i go to bed and read for a while…winding down i call it…

MaritaNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 8:45 am

Yes I’m so there with needing time just to be me. I find during school time I go to be earlier because with both girls at school I get some time to be me during the day

Naomi EllisNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 8:49 am

Love this. I stay up late too. Just to have time to myself. Sometimes it is the only me time I get. Sometimes I also regret it the next day but most of the time I feel better for it. Naomi x

ReneeNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 8:52 am

Me too! Went to bed at midnight last night…up at 6am…but so worth it as I get the most “me” stuff done after 10pm. Enjoy!

CazNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Ahhh thankyou for putting into words what Ive been trying to explain to everyone who tells me to go to bed earlier :-) I find I feel more rested with a little less sleep and more ‘me’ time at night than I do if I go to bed and sleep for 8 or more hourst. It’s easier to be cheery in the morning when everything has been done and you’ve gotten to eat a TimTam and read a book in peace!

AliceNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 9:00 am

Totally relate to this post!

PhilippaNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 9:07 am

Spot On! even though I am naturally a night owl this is exactly why I stay up late :)

Melanie GrahamNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thank you posting this. With four kids too I totally understand the need for me time when they have all gone to bed. It is the only time in the day I can just relax and let my mind disengage. I had to laugh at your comment about going to the toilet without a companion. The other day I had 3 of them in the toilet with me, it was so crowded I couldn’t move lol.

EmmaNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

That is so true had to laugh about boiling the jug 10 times. I’m not the only one LOL

DorothyNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

Yes, I do that too. Stay up waaaay too late just so I can be me….

K8No Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

You and I both!!!! In fact I wanted to share your post on my blog to see just how many mothers seek solitude int he silence of the night!!!! I hope you don’t mind :) I always enjoy reading your posts!

Jenny McDonnellNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have always been an owl and not a sparrow, but motherhood has exacerbated the problem. Add in being a very part time shift worker and some days I feel like the walking dead, and all for reasons I too feel difficult to articulate out loud when told to go to bed… I just need to unwind, get something done, have some peace or even watch a silly movie to the end. I truly believe I just need the time to hear my heart and be alone.

LucyNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

So true. SO true, xx

NicoleNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 11:34 am

I totally get it. I choose to socialise with my kids and friends when the opportunity presents itself I then do chores etc when they are in bed or not here. IF thats 9pm or 11pm so be it. Live in the moment doing what is important. I have plenty of time on my own of an evening if I choose to why not use that time to do sfuff. When Matt is home make the most of it but when he is not why not get the stuff done so you can fill your day with family and friends. Makes total sense, then at the end of it put your feet up, switch the tv off and enjoy the serenity with a cuppa. Bliss

MeeganNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

That is one candles that gets burnt both ends at the Harvey House as well. It’s the only time of the day I feel I can think about something for more than 10 seconds. Or read my own book, not a picture book :)

KatherineNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I love the silence of night – when you can just sit and relax. Sigh. I get you.

K xo

DebsNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

what a lovely post!
i personally thing to be able to enjoy motherhood you have to allow yourself some you time, it keeps the balance.

LouisaNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Exactly! I feel like this needs to be turned into a memo for the rest of the not-currently-parents world!

Melinda WindlyNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I can absolutely relate. I often have friends amazed to hear I’m still in bed at 7am in the morning….but I do EVERYTHING I can possibly do at night. I love the peace when everyone’s asleep and can often be found mopping after 10pm at night. I would love to feel the freedom to go to bed earlier but I can’t help myself …I’m a night owl. If I could get away with it I’d stay in bed until 8am…perhaps on weekend when the kids are teenagers :)

SarahNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Here! Here! Beautifully put and yes, I can very much relate ;)

LaurenNo Gravatar February 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Completley agree!!!! Great post :)

SashNo Gravatar February 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm

You’re definitely not alone in this! My husband is always asking what I do up so late and just doesn’t get it when I try to explain… Love reading what you write!!

Farmers WifeyNo Gravatar February 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I am exactly the same..I haven’t been getting to bed until midnight most nights and I do regret it in the morning…..

Nicole GrantNo Gravatar February 7, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thanks for this Kelly. I always feel guilty about not going to bed early, and then feeling tired the next day. It’s just that a solid 7-8 hours sleep is slightly less appealing (necessary?) than 1 hour of solitude!

Leesa LynnNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh I hear you alright – I wouldn’t survive without my “quiet” time

JodiNo Gravatar February 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I love this post.
I completely relate, not only that but both my hubby and I no matter how long a day we have, still need wind down time and time without the kids asking for things etc etc!

Well done!

Kelly LockNo Gravatar August 26, 2011 at 10:31 am

I sat up last night and read until 1am… then I got woken up at 2.30… after getting back into bed after 3, the alarm went off at 6.15… And even though I am SO DOG TIRED, I can not go to bed early because I feel like I am leaving myself out of my life. I am so glad someone else thinks the same!

TierneyNo Gravatar April 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I was at a conference last week where the speaker said that the more tired we get the more we tend to use FB, play games and watch tv! I can totally relate, especially as I run a business from home as well as being Mum. Going to bed on time might make me less tired the next day, but it feels like the next day is coming much too soon, and sometimes I just want to delay it starting. Staying up late, even when I’m not working, makes it feel like the day lasts longer and I can have some “down time”. Luckily I have always survived on less than the ideal amount of sleep, but it probably would help to get to bed a bit before midnight more regularly! :D