5 Fun Afternoon Tea Ideas

Feeding kids: It’s all I seem to do some days! I’m always looking for creative food ideas for kids, especially for afternoon tea.  Here are some of my favourites. Have any great food ideas for kids? Leave them in the comments below (help me out here!).

1. Frozen Fruit Kebabs

Food for kids frozen fruit kebabs

Thread fruit on to a kebab stick and place in the freezer for about an hour (or longer). It’s about the healthest icecream I can think of!

Here are some combinations:

pineapple, apple and grapes

strawberries and blueberries

rockmelon, watermelon and grapes

green grapes, pawpaw and strawberry (traffic lights)

nectarine, pineapple and banana

2. Pizza Bread

Get the kids involved in making pizza bread. This is a great lunch idea too.

Step 1. Lay out ingredients. I used toast, tomato sauce, grated cheese, cherry tomatoes, cut up ham and heated up frozen vegetables.

Step 2. Allow child to add toppings.

Step 3. Grill for a few minutes.

kids food pizza bread

I love my son’s sound effects as he adds the toppings. Made me laugh.

My son is dressed by Mm is for Me (top) and For Fun and Fancy (shorts)

3. Instant Pudding and Fruit

Kids Food: Instant Pudding and Fruit

Instant pudding is always a hit with my kids.  Add fresh cut up fruit to the top.

Notes: The handy little bowls can be purchased from Coles.

4. Iced Biscuits

food for kids ice biscuits

Not the most healthy option but it’s fun for a treat! For the biscuits I used my Cookie Dough Cookie recipe but plain biscuits like a milk arrowroot is ideal.

Topping ideas:

Icing: I use a thawed frozen strawberry to make the icing pink or a few blueberries for a bluish colour.

Choc chips

Chopped dried apricot

Sultanas

100′s and 1000′s

Other Food Posts

Pink Lemonade and Pink Pasta Please

Make Lunch Fun for Little Ones

Cornflour Goop

Strawberry Hearts

Comments

1. Nicole says

yummo
    my kids love milo scoops (breakfast cereal, they have the heart foundation tick) I give them a small bowl ful with a plain yoghurt they use the scoops as a spoon. Really slows them down for a much needed rest while filling up on the protein and carbs to get through to dinner time.

• says

@Nicole, I use small bowls ALL THE TIME! Best investment ever! It does help with portion size hey… Cereal…that’s a great idea. My kids like Cheerios but I haven’t thought about giving them it for afternoon tea. Thanks for the tip!

I love these cute and colourful ideas, and getting the kids to help out makes them all the more special. I especially love the frozen fruit kebabs – I’ll be trying these soon using the strawberries we’ve got growing in our new veggie patch (if I can get to them before my boys gobble them straight off the vine).

• says

@Melissa, I keep hearing “vege patch” everywhere. I’m so inspired by people who have a garden.

I seriously have a brown thumb but I love the idea of growing my own things. I might just start with a small thing and see how I go. Strawberry kebabs are the BEST!

Popcorn that you pop yourself from the packs of seeds rather than the ones with “natural” flavour, fruit juice icy poles, milkshake made with frozen banana to thicken it and a smidgen of ice cream, home-made salsa or home made hummous with torn flat bread for dipping, a fancy fruit cocktail complete with little paper umbrella that contains orange juice, frozen strawberries and ice, zapped in the blender.

Love the video, AND the sound effects!

My girls have such different tastes in food that I find the easiest way to feed them in the afternoon is to put a variety of snacks out in one of those tupperware chipNdip type serving dishes.

Today was kabana, cheese, crackers, grapes and sugar plums. A variety of food, the girls can help themselves to what they like and everyone is happy.

Fabulous ideas. Love the frozen fruit sticks :O) Shall be using that one in summer. Thanks for sharing – always needs some extra inspiration :O)

6. Tierney says

I tend to avoid afternoon tea and eat dinner early as that way the kids aren’t very fussy :) Hunger is the best flavour! But I tend to throw frozen veges (still frozen) at them while I’m cooking. A bowl of peas and corn is good for them and a great way of adding extra veges to a meal (works especially well in summer as it is like iceblocks). Tinned chickpeas also work well. My boys used to love all of the above when they were little, and they doubled at practice for pincer grips. Another one that is fun but not filling is giving them a teaspoon of “hundreds and thousands” and a pair of tweezers to eat them with! Takes ages to eat, is lots of fun, and doesn’t fill up the tummy.