Photographing Kids Tip 5: Perspective

December 9, 2010

Perspective is one of my favourite tricks when it comes to photography. By changing the angle of the camera, you can bring interest,  depth and meaning to a photograph.  Below are four examples how you can use perspective to enhance photographs of your kids.

Example 1: Look Down

Instead of taking this photograph at eye level, I stood slightly above the girl and the focus is on her eyes.

photography and persepctive example 1

Example 2: Aerial

The best way to take this sort of photograph is be on a ladder or, like me in this case, on a bridge looking down at the girl on the grass.  One tip with aerial photos, keep feet visible so there is a perspective marker for the viewer.

photography and persepctive example 2

Example 3: Look Up

This is one of my favourite pictures of my children. It was taken from the ground looking up at the children on a playground climbing frame. Aren’t they adorable?

photography and persepctive example 3

Example 4: Tell a story

I title this photograph “safe”.  My son was frightened at the sound of a boat.  He came to stand close by my side and I held him.  My husband took this photograph and you can see my son’s clenched fist and the ”I’m with Mum” expression.  Through perspective, this photograph tells the story of my son and the privillage I had to comfort him.

photography and perspective example 4

Which picture is your favourite?

Be A Fun Mum Links

Photographing Kids Tip 1: Capturing a Child’s Essence

Photographing Kids Tip 2: Rule of Thirds

Photographing Kids Tip 3: The Background

Photographing Kids Tip 4: Setting Up a Shoot

Photographing Kids Tip 5: Perspective

My Camera

Nicole GrantNo Gravatar December 9, 2010 at 6:55 am

I love the photo on the climbing frame best, but they are all great :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2010 at 8:13 am

Me too. :D

BookChookNo Gravatar December 9, 2010 at 8:00 am

I love the one with Mum. It not only demonstrates what you’re saying about perspective, but it is also so evocative of the bond between you two. Beautiful!

(I am fairly sure having such photogenic kids contributes greatly to your skill with a camera, Kel!)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2010 at 8:14 am

lol… yes, well, this is probably true. HA! They are pretty cute.

I always keep coming back to that photo for some reason. There is something about it that captures me. I love it! I love him!

Lisa SunburyNo Gravatar December 9, 2010 at 8:45 am

I love the one with Mum. It does tell a story, and there’s something very tender about it. They are all really great pictures though! Thanks for the tips on perspective!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 9, 2010 at 9:05 am

Hi Lisa

What a beautiful sum up! Yes there is something tender about it isn’t there? Thanks for stopping by.

Matthew BurstowNo Gravatar December 10, 2010 at 8:41 am

I like the climbing frame picture, but I love ‘safe’!

kayNo Gravatar December 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

That’s a great series you have going there – bravo! :)
Even cheaper cameras today can give great results but, along with the many snapshops digital photography makes possible, if sometimes we put a bit of effort in a shot. I’d love to take part in whatever competition you do in the end :)
( i read that in another entry) – as long as it doesn’t have to be a complete faceshot.