KristieNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm

So very true, and so obvious when you read it like that.

None of us want to cause our children heartbreak, but sometimes it happens, whether we are busy, or through no fault of our own, we need to cope with those moments, and learn from them.

Don’t forget it can be a valuable lesson for our children, since the world is not all peachy roses, they also need to learn how to deal with disappointment, and how you react to it, will teach them how to feel about it.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Yes Kristie — so true. Thank you for bringing that out. I needed that perspective. x

Nicole GrantNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Some great advice there Kelly, and perfect stories to convey a valuable message. I just experienced a TMM when I stopped to read this post, and discovered my toddler eating glue while I was distracted! Yesterday I was very late to pick up my children from child care and spent my time in the heavy traffic regretting returning to study, because I had been at a conference on the other side of town, and then got stuck in traffic because of the rain. I felt the choice I made 6 months ago, led to my children possibly feeling abandoned that day. I am sure they aren’t affected by the event, but it’s hard not to feel awful. I have learned so much from your blog Kelly. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us xxoo

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 8:36 pm

lol — had to laugh about the glue… has happend to me so many times.

Sorry you were feeling awful Nic. Know the feeling well. I know too, that sometimes it takes a while to work things out: changes, new schedules etc… Oh struth, I’m moving again soon :S

Thanks for supporting me Nic… and your contributions. xx

Nicole GrantNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 8:43 pm

@Kelly Be A Fun Mum, You’re very welcome :) P.S I laughed at the glue incident too!

CaseyNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Hi Kelly,
As always, a great post. Thank you. I understand your heartache at letting your children down, I would especially like to comment on the day the egg broke ;)
It is moments like these that later in life will allow your children to bind and laugh at some of the crazier sillier things their mother did as a parent. We have a few in our house, when we get together for family dinners (very regularly) My brothers and I love to rib my parents about some of those moments. They make us laugh uncontrolably now, despite the tears that were shed momentarily at the time. Believe me, the memory of not having lunch that day will fade but the ridiculousness of Mum putting a raw egg into the lunchbox and being cracked open at school will be one of those ‘funny’ stories that is told with love and humour long after you are gone. xoxoxoxo

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Casey, I love your response so much. In fact I laughed! It’s so true that these — ah — colourful events can make life richer. And I can sooo see us laughing about it in the future. You’ve given me both a laugh and a glimce of happiness for the future. Thank you sweet lady! xo

NaomiNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I have a huge collection myself of these moments – like the time I cut off the end of my 3 month old daughters finger when I was trying to cut her finger nails (feel a little better about the egg experience???) and I cried and cried for days!!! I love how you have turned it around and are also focusing on proud mummy moments too :) great post Kelly ~ so nice to know we are not alone in our mothering challenges. Naomi x

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I admit it: I’ve done the same thing Naomi. Cut my baby’s finger by accident. I sobbed. In fact, I rarely cut their nails now… I always get hubby to do it. lol.

Thank you for sharing. It’s nice not to feel alone in my failings…

You’re in good company Naomi. xxoo

EllaNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 10:59 pm

So glad im not the only one out there that has cut my babies finger. We (my partner) and i were attempting to cut our 1 week old sons nails with those teeny tiny nail clippers. I sliced his finger – it was awful. He cried and cried and so did i. I ended up buying those safety scissors which were heaps better.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 3, 2010 at 11:30 am

Yeah, I think my daughter was a few weeks old when it happened to me too. It was only a little cut but it bleed heaps :’(

MichelleNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Great Post Kelly.
I forgot so many important events while my kids were at school (one of the reasons I now homeschool)
It’s good to apologise to kids – they learn how to apologise.
It’s good not to be perfect and admit it – they learn that they don’t need to be perfect.
It’s good to learn from mistakes – it shows our kids how to learn and move on.
xoxo

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 3, 2010 at 11:32 am

I truly find it hard to keep up with school… and next year I have 3 at school! Eeeek! As for the rest of your comment: perfect!

ReneeNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I don’t get time to read all your posts with such a crazy life lately…but boy am i glad when i do! thanks yet again xx

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

xx

GayeNo Gravatar December 2, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Must be the day for toddlers eating glue!
Great post – I’ll type out your “Talk, Remember, Reconcile & Learn” – After a TMM, I have the habit of profusely saying sorry & feeling awful for days about it – which teaches the children an incorrect strategy in dealing with consequences when things do go wrong.
Thanks :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

So right Gaye. Doing penance and being motivated by guilt is never a good way. I fall into that trap too sometimes…

Matthew BurstowNo Gravatar December 3, 2010 at 11:50 am

Love your post hon…I think you are a WM! Blu x

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar December 3, 2010 at 11:56 am

Thanks Blu! The Man who taught me the value of TLA’s (Three Letter Appreviations) xx