Comments

1. Kristie says

So very true, and so obvious when you read it like that.

None of us want to cause our children heartbreak, but sometimes it happens, whether we are busy, or through no fault of our own, we need to cope with those moments, and learn from them.

Don’t forget it can be a valuable lesson for our children, since the world is not all peachy roses, they also need to learn how to deal with disappointment, and how you react to it, will teach them how to feel about it.

Some great advice there Kelly, and perfect stories to convey a valuable message. I just experienced a TMM when I stopped to read this post, and discovered my toddler eating glue while I was distracted! Yesterday I was very late to pick up my children from child care and spent my time in the heavy traffic regretting returning to study, because I had been at a conference on the other side of town, and then got stuck in traffic because of the rain. I felt the choice I made 6 months ago, led to my children possibly feeling abandoned that day. I am sure they aren’t affected by the event, but it’s hard not to feel awful. I have learned so much from your blog Kelly. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us xxoo

3. Casey says

Hi Kelly,
    As always, a great post. Thank you. I understand your heartache at letting your children down, I would especially like to comment on the day the egg broke ;)
    It is moments like these that later in life will allow your children to bind and laugh at some of the crazier sillier things their mother did as a parent. We have a few in our house, when we get together for family dinners (very regularly) My brothers and I love to rib my parents about some of those moments. They make us laugh uncontrolably now, despite the tears that were shed momentarily at the time. Believe me, the memory of not having lunch that day will fade but the ridiculousness of Mum putting a raw egg into the lunchbox and being cracked open at school will be one of those ‘funny’ stories that is told with love and humour long after you are gone. xoxoxoxo

• says

Casey, I love your response so much. In fact I laughed! It’s so true that these — ah — colourful events can make life richer. And I can sooo see us laughing about it in the future. You’ve given me both a laugh and a glimce of happiness for the future. Thank you sweet lady! xo

I have a huge collection myself of these moments – like the time I cut off the end of my 3 month old daughters finger when I was trying to cut her finger nails (feel a little better about the egg experience???) and I cried and cried for days!!! I love how you have turned it around and are also focusing on proud mummy moments too :) great post Kelly ~ so nice to know we are not alone in our mothering challenges. Naomi x

• says

I admit it: I’ve done the same thing Naomi. Cut my baby’s finger by accident. I sobbed. In fact, I rarely cut their nails now… I always get hubby to do it. lol.

Thank you for sharing. It’s nice not to feel alone in my failings…

You’re in good company Naomi. xxoo

• Ella says

So glad im not the only one out there that has cut my babies finger. We (my partner) and i were attempting to cut our 1 week old sons nails with those teeny tiny nail clippers. I sliced his finger – it was awful. He cried and cried and so did i. I ended up buying those safety scissors which were heaps better.

Great Post Kelly.
    I forgot so many important events while my kids were at school (one of the reasons I now homeschool)
    It’s good to apologise to kids – they learn how to apologise.
    It’s good not to be perfect and admit it – they learn that they don’t need to be perfect.
    It’s good to learn from mistakes – it shows our kids how to learn and move on.
    xoxo

6. Renee says

I don’t get time to read all your posts with such a crazy life lately…but boy am i glad when i do! thanks yet again xx

7. Gaye says

Must be the day for toddlers eating glue!
    Great post – I’ll type out your “Talk, Remember, Reconcile & Learn” – After a TMM, I have the habit of profusely saying sorry & feeling awful for days about it – which teaches the children an incorrect strategy in dealing with consequences when things do go wrong.
    Thanks :)