Wood Picture

November 2, 2010

Changing the base material can put a spark into an otherwise ordinary activity. My kids thought drawing on a wood rather than paper was awesome! They loved it!

Materials:

Wood off -cut (untreated)

Crayons or pens

BookChookNo Gravatar November 2, 2010 at 7:30 am

Totally agree, Kelly. If we can provide kids with variety of tools and experiences, I believe we’ll see their own natural creativity take over as they experiment and combine in new ways.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 2, 2010 at 7:33 am

Exactly. You know, I didn’t even think of drawing on the wood. The kids did. Someone gave them some off-cuts and they decided to make wood pictures. LOVE IT! And it’s easy to sit up on a dresser too rather than having a million things on the fridge. :D

CazNo Gravatar November 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Oh I love this, brings back memories of drawing pictures with crayons on the fence posts at my Grandparents farm when I was little. We ended up with lots of little ‘cities’ that our dolls would trek to :-D

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar November 2, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Caz, that brought up such a lovely picture in my head. I want to come to your Grandparent’s farm too! What a beautiful memory!!!

PhilippaNo Gravatar November 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Great Idea Kelly …. now what do I have around the house for the kids to draw on which is a little bit different … I’m sure I can find something :)

sarahNo Gravatar November 2, 2010 at 10:20 pm

It’s really obvious that your kids had fun with this – it’s such a sweet picture! I wonder if it felt ever-so-slightly naughty – like drawing on the walls?

Tricia at Mom is the Only GirlNo Gravatar November 3, 2010 at 3:51 am

I love this! I can’t wait for my kiddos to be interested in something like this! They just aren’t into the creative sort of thing….yet……a great idea to store away for the future! Thanks!

And thanks for visiting Mom is the Only Girl!

JackieNo Gravatar November 3, 2010 at 11:14 am

That’s a cool way to change it up. I remember when I was a kid I once got a wooden postcard. I don’t know if they still make those but it would be fun to find one for your kids.

CatherineNo Gravatar November 6, 2010 at 7:11 am

Great idea! It always regains kids interest to change it up a bit. I remember the wooden postcards Jackie is talking about too.

JaneNo Gravatar November 7, 2010 at 11:25 am

This really is such a simple and fun idea. I have so many scraps that I’m sure would be fun to play with. I love it!

amandabNo Gravatar November 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Changing the base material is something that just never occurs to me, but now I have a use for the offcuts Princess’ boyfriend gifted her for her birthday :)