Planning a Family Holiday by Laine Yates
I have to admit: I’m a research nerd. So, planning a family holiday is right up my alley. Often, friends ask me if I’ve researched a certain topic before they do anything because chances are, I’ve already explored it to the nth degree! I’ve have planned many trips with our boys and here are a few things we take into account when planning a family holiday:
What kind of holiday is your family after?
Keep in mind your children’s ages and what suits your family dynamics.
Adventure holidays would be more suited to families with older kids. Here are some example activities: bike riding, hiking, rafting and water skiing.
Beach holidays suit most families who are after a “chill out” holiday. However, remember to explore the types of beaches at your destination. Surf beaches are fun for older kids, whereas bay beaches are best for younger children. If you’d like to have a few days away from the beach, look for things to do around the surrounding area. Here are some examples of places to look for: zoos, aquariums, markets and wineries.
Theme park holidays are fun and bring out your inner child. I remember going to Disneyland Paris when our son was 18 months old; I was more excited than he was! If you have young children, some theme parks have areas specifically for young ones with lower height restrictions (like Wiggles World). To find out if the park has these dedicated areas, look at the map of the theme park, which can be found on the respective websites.
Farm stays are great for children. They will enjoy learning about the different animals and what they eat; doing farm chores; and the many hands on activities this sort of holiday provides.
Ask for ideas
* Friends and family with kids of similar ages is a great place to start. They will be able to give you ideas on destinations they’ve been to, places to stay, restaurants to eat at and places to visit.
* Travel agents are also a good point of reference. They travel regularly to keep up to date with accommodation and holiday destinations so can offer informative advice.
* Travel forums have also been a great help to us when planning our family holidays. We recently used Trip Advisor to research our holiday to Thailand. You can find honest reviews on accommodation, things to do, places to visit, and even restaurant reviews. Forums are a great tool to use to narrow down your search of places to visit and stay.
This will be a major factor in determining your family holiday.
* If you’re flexible in regards to travel dates and where you would like to holiday, last minute deals for flights and accommodation can be a good option. We’ve had a few bargain holidays due to being flexible.
* Travel outside of peak seasons.
* Flights on weekdays and evenings tend to be slightly cheaper.
* Package holidays may also be a good option as how much you will be spending on flights, accommodation and food is explained on the outset. Check that your family will be happy to dine at the restaurant(s) and accommodation you’re staying at. Sample menus may be available too, which would give you an indication of what is available. Trip Advisor is a good place to check too!
I hope these travel tips will help in planning your next family holiday.
Laine from Ickle Kids would like to give one Be A Fun Mum reader a Monkey Bingo travel game.
* Leave a comment below and tell me: What useful resources or tools do you use to plan your family holiday?
* The giveaway is open to Australian residents only.
* Valid from Mnonday 29 November to Monday 6 December 2010.
* I will draw the winners by random number at 7pm on the closing date.
* The winners will be notified via email and a post update link on the Be A Fun Mum Facebook Page.
* Shop for Christmas presents. Receive 10% off store-wide from Ickle Kids. To claim the discount enter this code at the checkout: BFM10. Offer valid until Monday 6 December 2010. If you spend over $60 you will receive a FREE stocking filler.
Thank you for entering. The winner has been selected randomly and a email notification has been sent.
Other Family Holiday Posts
Latest posts by Kelly - Be A Fun Mum (see all)
- Backyard Hurdles - October 25, 2016
- Where to Design Your Own Sports Shirts - October 21, 2016
- Bring You, Embrace the Stage, Invest in the Moments - October 21, 2016
- How to Make Candy Flowers - October 21, 2016