A Fairy’s Home or a Pirate’s Trap: Mobile Craft

It’s such a beautiful sound. Listen.

Isn’t it pretty?

A Fairy’s Home or a Pirate’s Trap Mobile Making Instructions

Materials: Stick, fishing line, spoons and other tinkly things from a thrift shop.

1. We found a heap of spoons and other tinkly things at a second hand shop.

2. It was interesting to see how my two daughters went about doing their mobile.  My daughter at number 2 made a plan before she started to hang.

3. My other daughter hunted to find different spoons from around Australia.

4. For my young son, we tied spoons around a stick to make a musical instrument. He loved it!

5. For ease of hanging the spoons, place the stick between two chairs and hang the spoons off the stick.

6. Look how happy the tree looks.

Activity

A tree with tinkly sounds is a wonderful stimulant for the imagination.  It could be anything from a home for fairies or a pirate trap alarm. My daughter had a wonderful time playing with her fairy home. Check out the fairy door she found.

Idea

It would be fun to couple this activity with Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue. Watch the movie and play the game.

Comments

This looks like so much fun! I have been meaning to build an outside music wall with the kids but I think this idea is better suited for our small yard …. thanks for sharing :)

This is going on my to do list. I love adding different sensory items to our backyard and this will make a great sound experience. Thanks for sharing!

How beautiful, not only does it look great but it sounds great too! We might have to try this on the kids cubby (since we have no trees :-D). Love the look on your little boy’s face, adorable.

Very cool. I’m glad you got the chance to do one of these also :)

My girls spent much time discussing the placement of our teaspoon wind chime when we moved house a few weeks ago. They decided on a spot in the carport which they can see from all their fav. outdoor play spots :)

5. Sophia says

The sound brings back my memory when I was young. My mom made the same thing. We had lots of mobiles at home, making from sea shells, paper weaved fish, etc. I have done some thing similar and posted on http://www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to share your idea.

I’m loving this site Kelly – such great photos and ideas. I have 4 adorable nieces who will now have to start collecting spoons – there’s always that dusty box of silver spoons hidden away by my parents … I’m sure they’d make a beautiful sound.

I have had spoons on my thrift shop list for this very reason months now – just haven’t had the time to get to the shop! I am sure that the mobile sounds lovely, it certainly looks special. Thanks for linking up, Kel.

This is soooo cool. I love it that there’s a biscuit cutter in there, among the spoons and napkin rings. Well, that’s what it’s called in Tennessee, I don’t have a clue what you’d call it in Australia…