A Fairy’s Home or a Pirate’s Trap: Mobile Craft

October 5, 2010

It’s such a beautiful sound. Listen.

Isn’t it pretty?

A Fairy’s Home or a Pirate’s Trap Mobile Making Instructions

Materials: Stick, fishing line, spoons and other tinkly things from a thrift shop.

1. We found a heap of spoons and other tinkly things at a second hand shop.

2. It was interesting to see how my two daughters went about doing their mobile.  My daughter at number 2 made a plan before she started to hang.

3. My other daughter hunted to find different spoons from around Australia.

4. For my young son, we tied spoons around a stick to make a musical instrument. He loved it!

5. For ease of hanging the spoons, place the stick between two chairs and hang the spoons off the stick.

6. Look how happy the tree looks.

Activity

A tree with tinkly sounds is a wonderful stimulant for the imagination.  It could be anything from a home for fairies or a pirate trap alarm. My daughter had a wonderful time playing with her fairy home. Check out the fairy door she found.

Idea

It would be fun to couple this activity with Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue. Watch the movie and play the game.

External Links

Op Shop Cubby

A Pile of Straws

We Play: Blu Tack

Inhibiting Play

Make Scramble Eggs Tonight, Have Fun Tomorrow

PhilippaNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm

This looks like so much fun! I have been meaning to build an outside music wall with the kids but I think this idea is better suited for our small yard …. thanks for sharing :)

Christine BunnNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Very creative Kelly. That sound is so soothing, I could listen to that all day.

DebbieNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm

This is a great idea! My mum has a spoon collection……I may just have to ‘borrow’ a few spoons!

KatherineNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Such a cute idea! You’re just wonderful :)

K xx

maryanneNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Very cool! And it does sound beautiful =)

BasiaNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm

This is going on my to do list. I love adding different sensory items to our backyard and this will make a great sound experience. Thanks for sharing!

CazNo Gravatar October 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm

How beautiful, not only does it look great but it sounds great too! We might have to try this on the kids cubby (since we have no trees :-D ). Love the look on your little boy’s face, adorable.

katepickleNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 10:47 am

oh what a fabulous collection of goodies and even more fabulous mobiles! Great stuff!

Rebecca NewmanNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 11:59 am

This looks like a fun activity and I loved the photos of your daughter enjoying the fairy home. :-) Have you read Catriona Hoy’s picture book, The Music Tree? My kids loved it. http://www.wheelersbooks.com.au/books/9780734408518-music-tree-the/?view=gallery

I believe it’s out of print now, but if you can’t find it in a bookshop, your library might have a copy?

MaritaNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Very cool. I’m glad you got the chance to do one of these also :)

My girls spent much time discussing the placement of our teaspoon wind chime when we moved house a few weeks ago. They decided on a spot in the carport which they can see from all their fav. outdoor play spots :)

JulieNo Gravatar October 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm

What a great idea.

I just love the look on your son’s face as he is looking at his mobile. Gorgeous!

SophiaNo Gravatar October 7, 2010 at 9:40 am

The sound brings back my memory when I was young. My mom made the same thing. We had lots of mobiles at home, making from sea shells, paper weaved fish, etc. I have done some thing similar and posted on http://www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to share your idea.

Juliet RobertsonNo Gravatar October 8, 2010 at 5:38 am

Wow! This is a beautiful outdoor mobile. I once had one made from old cutlery but it did clang a wee bit.

Nathan LuffNo Gravatar October 8, 2010 at 8:09 am

I’m loving this site Kelly – such great photos and ideas. I have 4 adorable nieces who will now have to start collecting spoons – there’s always that dusty box of silver spoons hidden away by my parents … I’m sure they’d make a beautiful sound.

Sarah of Catching the MagicNo Gravatar October 11, 2010 at 12:19 am

This is so wonderful!!!! I must show this to my girls as they would love to incorporate these wonderful, musical ideas into their ‘Happy Den’. Thank you!

Christie - Childhood 101No Gravatar October 11, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I have had spoons on my thrift shop list for this very reason months now – just haven’t had the time to get to the shop! I am sure that the mobile sounds lovely, it certainly looks special. Thanks for linking up, Kel.

Heather PhillipsNo Gravatar January 8, 2011 at 8:01 am

This is soooo cool. I love it that there’s a biscuit cutter in there, among the spoons and napkin rings. Well, that’s what it’s called in Tennessee, I don’t have a clue what you’d call it in Australia…

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar January 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

HA! We call it a cookie cutter. It’s cute having a lot of different shapes… Thanks for stopping by my blog!