OP Shop Cubby

July 15, 2010

$5 in an op shop goes a long, long way.  My sister and I allowed our children to explore a second hand shop for items to create a cubby-house.

Talk about excitment central.  It was like a great big treasure hunt.

Items to look out for:

mosquito net — pots — utensils — foldable child seats – basket — bell (for a secret call) — ribbons — blankets — phone — cushion — ropes — tarpaulin — cutlery — ribbon

Children are incredibly resourceful and imaginative and I love to see how they think (I know, you can’t see thinking).  Scottie found a retro telephone directory (pictured)  to keep special codes in.

Awesome job girls.

This activity combines the outdoors, creativity, ingenuity, construction and environmentally friendly play. Can’t get much better than that.

Note: This activity is suited to school aged children, although my 2-year-old son enjoyed picking out a truck quilt cover.  Be wary of broken and dangerous items.

Try this: Friday after school, raid a second hand shop.  Come Saturday, you won’t see the kids all day. Remember this activity for the September school holidays.

Relevant Be A Fun Mum Posts

A Pile of Straws

We Play: Blu Tack

Inhibiting Play

Make Scramble Eggs Tonight, Have Fun Tomorrow

BookChookNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 7:33 am

All that great learning you mentioned, PLUS learning how to budget with $5! Real life Maths lesson with no pain, just fun. I love it!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

YES! Great input here BC… as always.

StacieNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for visiting me at The Amazing Mess!! It always makes my day when someone leaves me a comment!

This is such a fun idea — I didn’t know what an OP shop was — but I figured it out later on! I’ll have to take mine little ones to a garage sale and see what they come up with!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Our kids thought it was absolutely wonderful!

StacieNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Oops! I meant “my little ones”.

Katrina GermeinNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Great idea! Op Shops are fabulous. So are cubbies!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Yep — a winning combination

SquiggleMumNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Kelly this is a really great idea!!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Keep in mind Cath, when your children are a little older. They will LOVE it!

JulieNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 7:50 pm

That looks like fun! I’m curious about the “codes”. Did you get to have a peek after the codes were written?

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm

HA! I didn’t ask… Hmmmm

Catherine LoweNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

What an awesome idea! I love op shopping but will look forward to this project when my babes older! Great stuff :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Oh do! Op shopping is absolutely fab.

JanetNo Gravatar July 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Hey just call me the Retro Mama, coz I got one of them retro telephone directory thingies!!! LOL

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 17, 2010 at 8:54 pm

LOL! My Dad used to have one too. I thought it so cool!

Gill@OurParklifeNo Gravatar July 16, 2010 at 12:25 am

I love this – I agree, children can be amazingly imaginative at seeing multiple uses for an object….You activity has created so many different great learning opps…My oldest child is just 2 so I will remember this idea and give it a go in a few years time…

Mum and Dad had one of those old phone directory things and we used to play with it all the time!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Oh do Gill. I’m sure, in a couple of years, your child will love it!

amandabNo Gravatar July 17, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I like the idea of giving Princess some money to go treasure hunting at the op shop. We have to go next week and get clothes to wear to an ’80′s party, so I might try it and see what she comes up with. Dress ups, tea sets, would love it if she could find a typewriter (anytime I open twitter she suddenly reveals a need to type! I think the different feel and sound of the typewriter would be awesome!).

And the typewriter would go so well with the phone directory for setting up an office or newspaper!! Oh, now I want to play! :)

Love the kids cubby :)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I’ve been looking for a typrewriter too! LOL. I agree, the feel and sound it something special. Go the 80′s. Make sure you have big hair and purple eye shadow.

MaritaNo Gravatar July 19, 2010 at 1:12 pm

My girls are usually given $10 each at birthdays and Christmas to buy gifts for each other. It is fascinating to watch them try to puzzle out how to spend the $10 and get their sibling a nice gift (that they can also play with themselves :D )

Love the Op Shop cubby idea. I :heart: op shops and we seem to spend much time in them.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar July 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

@Marita, you really ARE a FunMum you know.

Christie - Childhood 101No Gravatar July 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm

What a great idea, my cousins and I had a cubby filled with op shop finds and bits and pieces we begged from our families when I was growing up.

ickle KidsNo Gravatar September 17, 2010 at 9:40 am

What a great idea kelly! We love op shops too and we love taking our kids to “Antique/Preloved” superstores which are dotted around Victoria. The kids have found some amazing finds like old Star Wars figurines, my favourite Enid Blyton books which are now their favourites – “The Magic Faraway Tree” etc.

We love, love, love exploring inside them – glad the kids do too!

Ms KNo Gravatar January 12, 2012 at 11:48 am

We do things like this too. It’s become a lot of fun in our house!