Family Holiday: Go and Make Memories

June 23, 2010

I fondly remember my childhood family holidays.  My Dad asked a grown-up-me this question recently: “Do you remember us taking you to ________?”  I couldn’t remember, and I could tell my Dad was a little disappointed.  Then I said, “Dad, it doesn’t matter that I can’t remember every single place we visited, what matters is you and Mum created memories of an overwhelmingly happy childhood.”

Holidays are about creating memories of an overwhelmingly happy childhood.

Holiday Bag

On our big annual family holiday, I pack a special holiday bag of goodies for each of my children. This doesn’t have to be expensive.  Typically I include these things:

* Colouring/activity book

* Small toy

* Lollies

* New Book

* Green Shopping Bag

Don’t forget to take a family treat too, like a board game. The Book Chook put it this way: “I can’t resist activities that give kids opportunities for learning and socializing, wrapped up in a package of fun.”

Holiday Box

My sister Sharron, who is the most organised person I know, suggested a dedicated holiday box.  The idea of the box is it’s already packed and ready to take with you on holidays.  From matches to paper towel and BBQ utensils to paper plates, it’s all there.

Notes: When you come home from holidays, replenish the box so it’s ready for next time.  I used a take-away container to hold the pegs.

Printable Packing Lists

The Holiday Box Packing List

Basic Food Packing List

Summer Packing List

Winter Packing List

The Car Box List

Note: Consider organising The Car Box too, and you’ll be all set to enjoy the holiday.

Go and make memories.

For more free downloads visit here.

*********************************

Be A Fun Mum Link:

My Guide to Happy Holidays

External Links:

Planning with Kids: Preparing for the school holidays and 10 Essential Items For The Family Car Trip

Parenting Australia: Happy Holiday Plan

Hear Mum Roar: School Holiday Fun – Slime

Childhood 101: Creating Memories: Holidays

BookChookNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I love the idea of the holiday bags! The only thing I might add is a gift for the whole family like a board game, pack of cards, or puzzle. I can’t resist activities that give kids opportunities for learning and socializing, wrapped up in a package of fun

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Of course… How COULD have I forgotton Board Games. Thank you Book Chook. I’m adding it to the post right now!

AliNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm

i pack a holiday bag of goodies for my kids to…i also pack them their own food bags so there is no fighting..
i agree with th memories i remember most of the holidays/places my parents took us..
i hope my kids will remember the memories im creating with them too. x

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Hi Ali… thanks for visiting. I love the idea of food bags… great idea when you have a larger family. I’m sure your children will remember the memories… sounds like you are doing a beautiful job.

DebbieNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm

We have a dedicated ‘holiday box’ for camping. It took a little time to figure out what was needed in the initial setup, but it’s so worth it to just ‘grab and go’.

As an only child, my trips to rural NSW (with no other playmates) were rather dull, so I remember them for the wrong reason! Thus I’m determined to create special, FUN holiday memories with my family!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I can see it works both ways Debbie. You are right, working out the initial set up is hard but so worth it.

Sharron PeacockNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm

BRING ON THE HOLIDAYS!!!!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

OH YEAH BABY!

maryanneNo Gravatar June 25, 2010 at 8:12 am

Excellent advice – I’ll keep this in mind as I pack for our road trip in August, thanks!

PlanningQueenNo Gravatar June 25, 2010 at 10:14 am

Thanks for the link Kelly. I love lists and you have some great ones here – thanks for sharing.

lisbethNo Gravatar April 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I love this link KELLY , I’m first mum from Colombia I have in Brisbane 4 years ,I don’t have any family here , so all this ideas are helping me so much tanks you all for sharing ,

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar April 2, 2012 at 7:16 am

Hi Lisbeth. What a beautiful name! I’m so glad you found your way to my page. Thanks so much for stopping and saying hello. Don’t be a stranger.

FranchescaNo Gravatar December 30, 2013 at 1:46 am

These fillers create smoother transitions during broadcasting as well as enhance the image
of the radio station. Don’t over crowd her inbox with lines of love poetry.
This depression can eventually lead to chronic depression which
will not go away and might eventually bring about thoughts of suicide.