Play Memories

May 10, 2010

One of my fondest childhood play memories, was at my Grandmother’s green house. The house was full of nooks and different levels and right down the bottom, my Granny kept a box filled with zoo animals. I remember spending hours setting up fences and playing with the animals.  It’s interesting to think back on what play memories stand out in my mind and why.  I was reminded of this memory when my daughter asked for the animal box I had stored high on a cupboard.  You see, I keep some toys stored so they can be rotated.  Perhaps, subconsciously, I had stored the animal box because, in my mind, they are special toys. In any case, my daughter had a lovely time setting up the animals, just as I had done when I was a child.  It made me happy: remembering.

I’d love to hear about your Play Memories.

Missed last week’s contribution? Just Go and Play!

This post is part of the Childhood 101 We Play link-up.

Christie - Childhood 101No Gravatar May 10, 2010 at 8:30 pm

My great grandmother had a little teapot (I think it was made of copper) which she used to brew me little cups of tea in. I still have it packed away somewhere, you have reminded me to find it and get it out for Immy.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 9:13 pm

How gorgeous is that. Thank you for sharing that with me Christie.

MelissaNo Gravatar May 10, 2010 at 9:10 pm

What a fantastic memory. It’s great that you were able to share it with your daughter.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Yes, it was a special moment Melissa.

KatherineNo Gravatar May 10, 2010 at 9:44 pm

How great that you can share it with your daughter :)

Lovely.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 9:15 pm
DebiNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 3:56 am

Just this weekend my husband shared some favorite books he had as a kid with our oldest (5 1/2 years), who was enthralled by the idea that he was reading daddy’s books. I’ve also passed down my dad’s collection of seashells, which are a bit hit with both of the boys.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Debi, that is so special. I really love hearing about these sort of things that connect one generation to another. It’s simply beautiful.

JulieNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I was wondering whether the photo was you or your daughter at first! So cute. It must have been so lovely to see her enjoying something you used to enjoy. Obviously animal toys are timeless!

I daydream about sharing my play memories (mostly favourite childhood books – such as Enid Blyton) with my children as they get older. For some reason, I always imagine they will respond negatively! The primary aged children of today seem too sophisticated for “magic faraway trees” etc.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I hope too, that my children will love reading Enid Blyton and such. I’m a bit over all this fantasy stuff. My older children LOVE me reading aloud to them – no matter what it is, so I’m pretty sure your children will love sharing that with you Julie. xx

MichelleNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm

my grandmother had long straight joinable cartracks (like hotwheels) We all loved firing matchbox cars down her hallway.
She’s only just moved into an aged care facility and the tracks have gone to one of my cousins kids.