The Best Family Adventure

May 6, 2010

The Best Family Adventure: This adventure combines the excitment of finding a new place and the thrill of hunting treasure.  It brings together the perfect mix of technology and nature. It  can be done any day, anytime and anywhere in the world. This adventure costs next to nothing and can take anywhere from 30 minutes or an entire day – you choose.  It really is The Best Family Adventure.

One word: Geocaching.

One of my readers (thanks Michelle) contacted me about doing a post about geocaching so our family did a test drive. And what fun we had.

How it works:  The basic idea is to locate hidden containers found outdoors, called geocaches. This is done by following Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates.

What you need: Car, GPS (or a phone with GPS capabilities) and items to swap (anything from a 10 cent piece to a MacDonald’s Toy)

Here are the steps to get you started.

Step One: Create a Membership – it’s free (found in the top right hand corner here)

Step Two: Click Hide & Seek a Cache (located on the left hand side bar of the screen)

Step Three: Under the Seek a Cache Box (green) enter in the details.  You can search for a cache around a certain postcode or within a distance radius.

Step Four: Once you have the listing of Caches, it’s time to choose one or more to look for.  This is where it can get a bit tricky but persevere; it’s well worth it. I’ll mention two things to look out for.

1. Found Date: The cache is still there. It can be found again and again. I originally thought I had to look for an unfound cache but this is not the case.

2. The little boxes are a cache size guide.  Look for a regular size box as these are often filled with more items for children.

Step Five: Print the positioning details and plug the coordinates into your GPS.

Step Six: Get in the car and see where you end up.  It’s important to note here, in most instances, you will have to park and get out with your GPS (or phone) to find the exact position.

Step Seven:Once you have found the cache, write the time and date in the log book and take a trinket (or in my case four for the children).  Just remember to put the same number of swappable items back in the box.

Step Eight: Place the cache back exactly where you found it for the next person to find.

I can’t even begin to tell you how much our family enjoyed this adventure.  To truly appreciate it, you will have to try it out yourself. Let me know how you go.

SquiggleMumNo Gravatar May 7, 2010 at 4:35 pm

This is a WAY cool idea! Thanks for sharing Kelly!

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Oh, Cath. It really was the best fun. I hope your family has a go!

KatherineNo Gravatar May 7, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Thats such a cool idea :)

Nice job.

Hope you have super lovely weekend.

K xx

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 7, 2010 at 9:37 pm

It was very cool! I’ll pop over and have a look at your photos. Love looking at your photos :D

Busy Brissy MumNo Gravatar May 7, 2010 at 7:08 pm

This is a very clever idea Kelly. I’m sure my family would love to do it but we do not have a GPS : ( Would love to give it a go so I’ll have to find some family friends who would be keen too. I think I know just the friends……..

Thanks for sharing this.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 7, 2010 at 9:39 pm

HA! Yeah, rope some friends in! Actually, it is a great activity to do with a group of families too. Hope you can organise it. And you might even find a cheap GPS on Ebay.

shellyNo Gravatar May 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm

We found out about this when we went camping couple of weeks ago from our camp neighbors. The only GPS in our family is an application on our 15 year olds itouch. Will have to intrigue him so that he goes with us and shares. There are 30 caches in Alice Springs so plenty to choose from. Can’t wait to have an adventure.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar May 10, 2010 at 7:04 am

That’s great Shelly. He’d love it if he could be in charge. Have fun!

DebiNo Gravatar May 12, 2010 at 6:26 am

We haven’t tried geocaching yet, but will be soon. My kids love searching for hidden treasures & of course anything outdoors is fine by me! :)

You should add this link to a Blogger Geocache event on Tripping With Kids (http://trippingwithkids.com/archives/2010/04/29/join-the-geocaching-blogger-event/).

MichelleNo Gravatar July 11, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I’m so pleased you tried this and loved it !! Looks like your family had heaps of fun from the photos. It really is good old fashioned family time and a great way to spend a day. For those without GPS you can still Geocache because the site gives driving directions. You can print off directions before you leave and choose caches that you can take your car closely too, it’s just a different way of doing it.

NicoleNo Gravatar March 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Love that the whole family was there.

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar March 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Yeah Nicole. Such a fun activitiy for everyone to enjoy!

kerrie bellNo Gravatar March 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm

so excited to give this a go! already signed up! thanks for the idea,

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar March 7, 2011 at 9:00 am

Hope you love it!

MultipleMumNo Gravatar June 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

I have this on my 52in52 list and with the success of last week’s bushwalk I am totally doing this with the kids this weekend. Exciting! Thanks for the gentle reminder x

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar June 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

Brilliant (there’s that word again)… I can’t wait to hear about it. If you blog about it, can you shoot me the link and I’ll link it from this post.

AnnaNo Gravatar January 2, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Hey, I read this post yesterday, and Geocaching sounded like such a cool idea that we actually went out and tried it today! Our family of 5 managed to find three caches in our local area. It was the perfect way to spend a few hours outdoors on a beautiful (hot) day! Thank you for the idea :-)

Kelly Be A Fun MumNo Gravatar January 4, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Oh good! Glad you enjoyed it!

Kelly